Old 11-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #1
shadows
Veteran

Dragon

5897 polys (tris)

Old 11-03-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
dragonfx
Veteran

only 6000 tris... why my polycounts seem to skyrocket when i look to other side?:( he looks a bit rigid tough:revenge::P) when it will be textured?

Old 11-03-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
oXYnary
Frequenter
Battaling towards it.

Send a message via AIM to oXYnary
Did you see Godzilla? The american remake?

Well remember how "humanized" his muscle structure was versus a lizards.. You seem to have that going on. Too much taught skin versus draped folding scales.

Of course this could be the look your after. The concept?

Alot of small details in the face could be reduced.. like some of the horns and such. This depends on how close you are going to have this to the viewer in the game you plan, or even as a portfolio piece. I meant what type of game would you plan having him in? Something like a FPA where the face would literally be inches from you?

Also the back bone could use a little more definition, that or a flat plane of polys to cover it under a row of scales.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
DOOMNINJA
Frequenter
student

cool

Some suggestions if I may?

I just hacked together a quick sketch to show some of the things I would maybe change. I tried not to deviate to far from your original design though

I drew him a bit lighter in the mid section and upper/lower torso, and beefed up the back leg a bit. This would make him a tad lighter, and enable him to leap into the air for a take off.

Also if iI were doing this, I'd increase the wing span to insure that the dragon would be able to generate enough lift to stay in the air when flying! yay!

I usually consider the wings to basicaly be huge, elogenated arms with skin membrane bettween the fingers. I think that's basically what they are, on creatures like bats and Vampiric Samuri Toads.

Anyway, just some suggestions, and they are more personal prefference than anything. Who's to say what a dragon should look like? Hehe.

-Doom

P.S. Doom!

- edit -

Helps when you add the link...

Last edited by DOOMNINJA : 11-03-2003 at 10:51 AM.

Old 11-03-2003, 04:00 PM   #5
jeffro
Veteran

Jeff Parrott
Environment Artist
USA

Send a message via ICQ to jeffro Send a message via AIM to jeffro
default pose?

Is that going to be his default pose? I would definately model him in his main pose. The front arms are going to deform in the joint areas and I would definately model in the bend in the front arms. The head looks real solid. A lot of the detail you put in with modeling probably could have been done with a texture. This project just screams for a normal map on it though. You should look into that it would add a lot.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:05 AM   #6
bustasnipe
Veteran

Great job
I totaly agree with doomninja though
and yea you could lower the poly's and use textures to show lots of the details

Old 11-04-2003, 07:53 AM   #7
Quandary One12
Dreams of glory

Brandon, Kilgore
overland park, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Quandary One12 Send a message via AIM to Quandary One12 Send a message via MSN to Quandary One12 Send a message via Yahoo to Quandary One12
I think Doomninja was right about the wings becuase i don't think the wings he has now can hold him up in the air.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:12 AM   #8
shadows
Veteran

Thank you.

The front legs look really weird to me too, I'm not sure if rigging it will fix the look of them, I have a long way to go. So we'll see.
The wings are going to be way bigger than this once I am done with them and I will redesign them a little.
Plus a couple of other minor things will change too.

oXYnary : Yea that is the look I was after, it will look much more interesting. IMO.
The low poly version with the normal maps will be well under 4000 polys, i'm thinking something like 2500-3500.

DOOMNINJA : I've taken all of your suggestions into consideration and I have agree withall of them.
With bigger wings it looks way better and it actually looks like he could fly. Though i'm not sure if I am going to change the midsection, the way it is right shows that he is heatlhy and has a belly full of human remains,hehe , well that<s how I see him.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a high poly model to extract a normal map out of this model, but I have to learn it one day and this was a good opportinity, the mesh was clean enough to just keep adding details o it.
I'm not 100% sure on how all this normal mapping stuff work, so i'll have quite a bit of reading to do and this is also the first high poly model I make. I don<t really like the way it<s looking right now but it<s my first one.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:51 PM   #9
jeffro
Veteran

Jeff Parrott
Environment Artist
USA

Send a message via ICQ to jeffro Send a message via AIM to jeffro
normal mapper

Check out the normal mapper plugin from ATI. I know it works with maya. Not sure about other software. You just export the high and the low models, run it through their program, and ding! the normal map is created and you can view it. It runs in a command line which stinks, but I have used it and it works great.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:13 PM   #10
AndyBa
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andy'Ba
Freelance 3D Artist
Qatar

The high poly head look amazing!!!
Good work!

Old 11-04-2003, 03:01 PM   #11
kuman
brap!

portfolio
James Ku
Character Modeller
Blur Studio
Venice, USA

Send a message via ICQ to kuman Send a message via AIM to kuman Send a message via MSN to kuman

if you're really interested in normal mapping and you wanna stay inside max i'd recommend checking out kaldera

www.mankua.com

we use it here at work and its a great tool

-k

Old 11-12-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
RampanT
Supporting the cause

Arron Simpson
Modeller/Texture Artist
Real Time Worlds
United Kingdom

Very nice. You've got a lot of detail in there for 6000 tri's.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:50 PM   #13
Migs
Veteran

That is ONE FANTASTIC HEAD! I can see great things coming from a textured version of this!

Old 11-14-2003, 10:26 AM   #14
shadows
Veteran

Thank you!

Just need to finish up the wings now.
And there's something really weird with the front feet I can't quite figure out what yet though. :S

Old 11-14-2003, 10:35 PM   #15
Mangled Poly
Lord of the posts

Send a message via ICQ to Mangled Poly Send a message via AIM to Mangled Poly
<3

Thread Closed share thread