Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
rrogerscg
Veteran
portfolio
Russell Rogers
Gridley, US

Environmental WIP

I would like critique on every aspect of this fantasy piece. I understand what I am asking is a lot, but I am truly trying to become a professional in the field of environmental concept art. Not only do I want to achieve an interesting environment, I also want to hit them at awesome, dynamic angles.
  • Lighting - Are there any factors I did not take into consideration yet?
  • Depth - I am going for a deep scene, but still trying to empower the colossi.
  • Color - Are the colors not effective enough? Do they all fit within the scene?
  • Scale - How can I make this colossi feel even more epic, based on scale, or whatever other techniques possible?
  • Detail - How do I know if there is enough? Many things are readable, is that all it needs to be?
  • Composition - Should things be taken out, re-positioned, or added? Why?
  • Personal - If somebody would have the time, a paint-over would be awesome. Also, if anybody has the time, I would appreciate a visit to my gallery and apply as many crits as possible to my work, since I cannot bring them all here.

Thanks, -Russ

Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Hi Russ.
I think you want to create a sense of depth and there should be enough detail in the image to suggest the scale of objects and how close they are to us. The composition is interesting but could be more dramatic by lowering the camera angle and placing objects in the scene that will show off the scale better.

There are a lot of concept renders of this sort of scene that are used for games. Have a good look at those as well.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
rrogerscg
Veteran
portfolio
Russell Rogers
Gridley, US

I appreciate the critique Kanga. Now that you mentioned scale, I think I should have added a couple people looking up and observing the colossi from the bottom of the image. Are there any other ways I could add scale? I tried adding birds, but they got lost within some of the detail around the chest of the colossi.

I've already taken your other suggestion of looking at other people's renders of similar concepts and found something amazing... this guy -> Kekai I think he's my new greatest inspiration, which finding inspiration is half the battle in my opinion.

The easiest way to make this concept better is to start from the beginning, and take your advice in a more dynamic angle. Thanks, and I'll post an updated sketch as soon as I can.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread