Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
palosanto
portfolio
Juan Carreras
marinevisuals.com
Garibaldi, Canada

Rendering

Hi,

Here is an interesting one ... I have a model of a hatch operated by hydraulic arms. I operate them by rotating one door and by means of symmetry and some aim and parent constraints the whole thing moves with the hydraulics.

However, when I render in the editor viewport it renders ok, but if I render to the picture viewer, the hydraulics have not moved and they stay in the initial position and therefor they protrude through the hatch doors.

Is there a setting I'm supposed to turn on or off? What's going on ...?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hatch-editor.jpg (51.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg hatch-picviewer.jpg (38.5 KB, 24 views)

Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Priorities. your going to have to go through your expressions and adjust priorities so things calculate in order to solve right.

Never rely on the viewport renders as it renders what the viewport is already showing, not what calculates properly over time.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
palosanto
portfolio
Juan Carreras
marinevisuals.com
Garibaldi, Canada

Thanks Kai,

I wasn't familiar with priorities although I've always wandered what they were or how to use them.
After a few trial and error attempts it worked. However, I'm usually not satisfied by doing things without understanding them so I put my thinking cap and tried to make sense of the order in which things should happen.
I take it that and expression not necessarily has to be expresso but simply any 'thinking' process used by Cinema to know what to do.
So let me know whether this is the correct thinking process (please bear with me, I'm a noob)
In this case I had the left door as the object that I voluntarily move. The door drags the piston by parent constraint. The piston and the cylinder are mutually constraint by aim and finally the second door has a mirror constraint with the first door.
So the priority I set was piston 0 (parent and aim), cylinder 1(aim) and right door 2 (mirror).
Is this the way to do it?
(I know that this is probably easier to do it with joints but I haven't got there yet)

Thanks again,
Juan

Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

There are two tutorials on cineversity I highly recommend to understand the inner workings of C4D's priority system. might be a little out of date in regards to cloth and dynamics, but for the most part it should still be applicable

I really should write an indepth blog post about this since it comes up often.

In terms of expressions, most tags are expressions, so not just xpresso, but target, constraint, IK etc. a few things are calculated after expressions by default, generators and deformers being the key ones. this becomes a challenge as you often need to have an expression come after a generator, like attaching an object to the surface of a generated object. This can cause problems though as generators do not have a priority override like expressions do, so if you want to have a generated object drive an expression and then have that generate a new object the priorities aren't going to work well for you.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
palosanto
portfolio
Juan Carreras
marinevisuals.com
Garibaldi, Canada

Thanks again Kai,

I will definitely take a look to your tutorials in Cineversity.
This stuff is still very much over my head ...

BTW do you live in Vancouver? I do, and it would be good to know that there's someone so knowledgeable here. I find that there's not much C4D people around here ... is there?

Best regards.
Juan Carreras
marinevisuals.com

Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread