Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
vins2010
Veteran
portfolio
vishal
delhi, India

book suggestion for learning to draw for complete beginner?

hi friends, i am complete beginner and want to learn to draw, i would really appreciate if you guys can recommend me any good book..however i did a lot of search and came up with two good books.' the natural way to draw ' and drawing at the right side of the mind...now the problem with the natural way to draw is that its really hard to follow as it needs three hours a day , i am learning art as hobby and it would be hard for me to take out three hours every day from by schedule and live models and other things which is not possible for me to arrange .....and the book drawing at the right side of the mind is more focused on portrait drawing and dosent talk much about perspective n all however i know we can still apply those rules to draw other things...but still i am looking for a book which starts with the absolute basic which can teach me how to draw objects , environment, still life in perspective even with my imagination..not just by looking at things ....however i am more interested in drawing characters but feel its impossible to start drawing good looking characters without the foundation of perspective , forms and shapes lighting etc.... in short i am complete beginner and want to start to draw but not sure how and where to begin ...

Last edited by vins2010 : 12-23-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
vins2010
Veteran
portfolio
vishal
delhi, India

Smile

looking forward for suggestion

Old 12-25-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
Betrayal
Veteran
portfolio
Ken Wu
Perth, Australia

Red face

I am on the same road as you for a novice artist. My thoughts and suggestions below:

Unfortunately the only way to get good at drawing is start drawing and anything else is to actually do it and do it consistently!, "a knife would go blunt, if not sharpened regularly".

You are absolutely right, if you are serious about drawing and drawing at professional level needs a very good understanding of the basics foundations of art. Having a solid foundation of the following would help you not only in drawings but other areas such as painting, architecture etc.

To list a few.

1. Perspective.
2. Anatomy (for figure drawing purposes).
3. Lights and Shadows.
and many more.....

BOOKS:
1. Perspective Made Easy
2. Andrew Loomis collection - can't really go pass this great resource if you're serious about figure drawing.
3. Glenn Vilppu's Drawing Manual and Anatomy collection (might cost a bit but good resource).

Just my two cent.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
vincent1
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Vincent Wan
Digital Artist
Shah Alam, Malaysia

I would go through "Drawing on the right side of the brain" first as it will help cement what the artist feels when deep into "drawing mode".

The projects in that book are also in manageable time blocks suited for your part-time aspirations.

Then go through the books mentioned in the previous post.

Do not jump into drawing from imagination without the basics; it will discourage you and in the long run will set you back rather than help you.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread