CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Eon (Model)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #451
johnnymaster
Know-it-All

portfolio
Linh Mai
filmmaker, VFX lecturer
Hamburg, Germany

@ swed: thanks man, and hope you are going to get something for your entry

@ jedi: yeah, the over-ambition was a part, another was, in the last 2 weeks i have to do a some other freelance jobs, the last days was very hard, but now i'm happy that its over.

And yeah, the convertion process was terrible, finally, i have to send the file to Vietemotion who is convert my video file to flv.

Anyway, I dont thing i'll join the next Challenge, because i hope for a studio job in the next coming months and a challenge takes a lot of time as you know.

See you later, i'm curious to see your upcoming works mate!

Old 02-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #452
taavi
healthy sceptic

portfolio
Taavi Torim
graphic designer
Estonia

Good luck with the job! What is the task?

Old 02-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #453
bearfoot
Lord of the posts

portfolio
neil maccormack
Freelance 3d Artist
bearfootfilms
Geneva, Switzerland

Send a message via MSN to bearfoot

hey linh

you did some really great work on this thread - good luck with your future projects.

cheers

http://www.bearfootfilms.com

VFX Workshop Tutorials

http://vfxworkshops.com/neil-maccormack/

Old 02-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #454
nwiz25
mouseman

portfolio
neville dsouza
game artist
Reliance Games pvt.ltd
Pune, India

Send a message via Yahoo to nwiz25
Thumbs up

knockout details Linh!

the extreme to be exact!

really sorry u didnt make it man ur first concept update blew my mind!

may god bless u with the very best for the future!! take care buddy!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #455
Intervain

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Magdalena Dadela
Senior Character Artist
Ubisoft Toronto
Toronto, Canada

Aww - shame!!! Well no matter, I'm sure you've learned tons from that work and it will only be for the best in the end! I've enjoyed following the thread for sure! Looking forward to more from ya and GOOD LUCK with the job hunt

Old 02-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #456
animalunae
Wizard in training

portfolio
Wim Coene
Ghent, Belgium

I think you have to step back and look from a distance first, the details are all very nice, but the complete picture is messy, chaotic and doesn't show any of the detail, since there's no real clear lighting, you need contrast to show off the detail, I also think your screen callibration is way too clear, because on my screens (studio callibrated) it pretty much shows all black.

I've been writing quite a bit of conventions these days for the next project, and your work reminds me of something I've been stressing a lot in those docs. You cannot start something by it's detail, you have to start with a global design of your set, the global lighting, the colors which you want to use, then gradually increase detail on them...

You do good work, but your approach needs to change, try beginning with color keys and blocking, then general lighting tests, etc... Work on composition and concept, make sure your lighting sells the image... keep it up!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:01 AM   #457
johnnymaster
Know-it-All

portfolio
Linh Mai
filmmaker, VFX lecturer
Hamburg, Germany

@ Intervain: thanks a lot! Yeah, your right, i've learnt a lot due the challenge, could improved a lot of things - except of my poor english
I have to recognize, i'm a fan of your work i will keep an eye out for new works

@ derbyQsalano: at first, thanks for taking the time to make such a nice and detailed posting. And i agree, you are definitely right. I dont need to step back to see the flaws

I'm absolutely not satisfied with the final pic, but the character and the vehicle is not to bad, if i would present them each apart. But of course thats not a apologize for the poor overall picture. Because i was so lazy the days before, i had to create the background in 3 days and 1 day to put it all togheter in panic and rush - that are the reasons, but i think i will take some time and re-render the models, thanks once more!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #458
animalunae
Wizard in training

portfolio
Wim Coene
Ghent, Belgium

You certainly have the right attitude, the ability to see your flaws and evaluate every crit you get is a good thing in this line of work. I do agree that the character and the car look wicked, why don't you do something else with it? Try a composition with your female in the foreground and the car in the background, even further back you could use your foilage. You could also replace your objects with proxies, lowpoly simple grey shaded objects, to test lighting, get some backlighting, maybe some very saturated colours, depending on what kind of mood... In any case, I'll be looking forward to more work from you!

Old 02-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #459
Nothingness
a.k.a. Fatzaxx

portfolio
Nico Strobbe
OMFG
Gent, Belgium

not to mention your background of the city

how much time did you spend on that? Too bad you can't even see it. How about posting a pic of the city itself huh?

cheers mate

Old 03-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #460
dave247
Frequenter

portfolio
Dave247
USA

Send a message via MSN to dave247
I'm mainly replying to subscribe to this thread.

I can't believe your level of quality in your work. I mean, the modeling the face so well is one thing, but you employ so many small details like it's no big thing. I have trouble making shaders look good.

Are you using Maya for all of this?

Also, I just wanted to say something about the latest composition where you have the girl standing in the scene: It doesnt look as good as it should. I just mean that all your wip pics look so good but when you have them all together there is a lot of loss for quality. Example: milla doesnt even look near as close to her as she did in your first progress shots. But I remember you saying that you didnt want to have photo textures, so I can understand that. Also, I am sure you know what you are doing and you're going to revise the shot WAY more. So I'll shut up.

Awesome work btw!

Dave247-

Old 03-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #461
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread