Frankenstein redesign / critique - feedback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Frankenstein redesign / critique - feedback

Hi everyone!

Heres my new illustration based on a frankenstein redesign, mi intention was to make it more like a sci-fi or a cyber-punkish design for this character. It have on his tatoo a quote from the book (frankenstein) by Mary Shelley as well as the classical "its alive" quote from the same book.

What do you think?

Constructive critique will be appreciated!!

08 August 2013
The original was about the hubris of men and their ability to create abominations that defy the nature's laws, and then be tormented and haunted by what he's created. It's also about the pains of being an abomination and wanting acceptance and love, while fighting its dark side of savagery and struggling with self-loathing.

Frankenstein is a tragic character, and that aspect is what made the story more than just about a scary monster. You illustration is technically and artistically sound, but in terms of the idea, other than changing the timeline to high-tech, what else can you express emotionally/intellectually with it? Having the premise be a high-tech one means you can explore sociopolitical/philosophical ideas that concern the high-tech age.

So basically, instead of reducing Frankenstein to "just" a monster, what else can you express with this image?

08 August 2013
Smile Hey thanks for the feedback!

Well, i wanted to convey the wild/dark side of Frankenstein and his ferocity as it comes alive, i was thinking on strength and his evil side, thats why i chose the red color for the background and the ashes on the air wich is associated with fire (his bad side).

I am totally agree with you. I think i was focusing only on the "monster" side, and for this character is of greater importance that duality of his human side, his monster side and his self-aversion. Somethimes i think i get stuck on the technical side of art and sometimes i forget the power of a well delivered message with a richer meaning, but sometimes i dont know where to start studying this and how to put it on practice.

Its so difficult to study something that is not that easy to tell if you're wrong or right, like thinking "Wich is the best side of frankenstein that i should portray and why is this idea better than the others?", sometimes i get lost on this stage.

What do you do at this stage?
Any recommendation?

Thanks a lot for the comment and for your time!!

08 August 2013
Actually, that's exactly what I teach in my workshop right here at CGSociety. It's called "Becoming A Better Artist," and you can find out more about it from the link in my signature.

In the workshop, there's an entire week devoted just to the ideation phase of creating. I'll teach you how to tap into your own emotional well, your life experiences, your dispositions on sociopolitical matters, your dreams and nightmares, your desires and aspirations, your weaknesses, fears, and regrets, and so on, so you can express yourself at a much deeper level than just creating pretty pictures that have no meaning, while still be able to entertain the hell out of your audience.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread