Nutrio part 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2014
Originally I wanted a close over the shoulder shot, but it made the cathedral seem tiny in comparison to him. I was thinking standing, but it might be better for the composition if he's walking. I can push him out so that he's fully in frame to help ground him better. Thanks for the advice.

Do you think it would be better if he was walking(mid stride) or standing?

03 March 2014
I guess it depends on what story you want tell. Maybe you could upload a few hardware rendered shots with different framing?

03 March 2014
Update #6

I haven't had as much time to work on this lately, but here's an update on the texturing of the cathedral. Almost done with the texturing, then it's on to all the little details here and there. I plan on painting a cloudy sky to replace what's currently there, but I think that's one of the last things I'm going to do

After much personal debate, I think I'm going to scrap the character. I really want to get a job as an environment modeler, and I feel as though it wouldn't help me right now spending a bunch of time on a character. Also, I'll just be finishing this scene and moving on. I already have medieval architecture in my portfolio, so I would really like to change it up with a new environment in a new time period.

Last edited by dvn23gts : 03 March 2014 at 12:36 AM.

03 March 2014
Hey man,

It sill looks good without the character. Although it does seem more odd having a large Cathedral in the middle of the woods. Those things seem to be the center of large cities, and have large plazas in front of them. Having the character helped to reinforce the fictional setting.

The stone on the Cathedral seems a little high contrast. Maybe you can add some further details with a bump map? Things like the little insets, vertical trim lines, and relief figurines.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-P_qcgMJND...athedral+01.jpg

You can maybe paint up 5-6 patterns in Photoshop, and then UV it to the large flat surfaces of model?

03 March 2014
Alright, you convinced me. I'll keep the character, but I'll only work on the back part since that's all we'll be able to see. I really appreciate all the critiques you have given me. I've decreased the contrast on the bricks and it helped pop some detail out. I'll post another pick when I'm finished adding the components you recommended.

04 April 2014
Update #7

Here's a little bit of an update. I moved the camera down a little bit and the cathedral closer. Rearranged some foliage to accommodate the move. I'm not sure if the plants are becoming too cluttered. I still have to add some detail to the cathedral. I'm planning on replacing those mini-half-tower things above the two windows, they're just fillers for right now. I'm hoping to finish up this environment by the end of the week then I'll work on the characters. I'll post my changes by the end of the week.

[IMG]forest_wip_071 by 3dnetzel, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by dvn23gts : 05 May 2014 at 02:41 AM.

05 May 2014
Update #8

Updated the Cathedral Textures and rearranged some plants. I still have to add some fog/godrays, tweak the compositing and finish up the characters. Let me know if you guys think I should change anything. Hope you like it.

[IMG]forest_withclouds by 3dnetzel, on Flickr[/IMG]

reply share thread