The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Kevin Soderlund

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
you got yourself a good story to your excellent picture... well done Kevin...

05 May 2006
hey, scott -- it's funny, i said the exact same thing about connecting with you in this challenge. your comments and recommendations made a huge difference, and actually helped transform what would have been a mediocre piece into one that has the emotional impact and situational realism i was hoping to achieve. thanks, pal! you're the coolest....

--------------

sideache -- thanks for the great wishes, man! appreciate the great words (and good luck to you too!)....

--------------

makaron -- well done on your piece, too! you handled the challenge incredibley well -- with enormous talent and excellent showmanship in sharing your works' progress and techniques. very impressive!! fantastic work...

Last edited by jevinart : 05 May 2006 at 06:56 AM.

05 May 2006
Thumbs up good luck mate

nice concept man

its a practically difficult journey that u have tried to capture

regards and goodluck
Sivaprasad Velayudhan

05 May 2006
thanks, wizard! this was the most difficult painting i've ever done -- it was successful mainly due to the wonderful comments and feedback from the cgtalk community....

05 May 2006
BTW, thanks for that nice comment

06 June 2006
my pleeasure. you did good...

07 July 2006
hey man, just realised- i hadn't dropped by to wish you good luck! great piece, good luck with the judging.

see you in the next one yeah ?

A

07 July 2006
thanks, neubius -- appreciate the kind words and the best wishes! enjoyed this challenge -- hope you come out on top, pal -- you deserve it! your entry is amazing -- best to you as well. and definitely in on the next one -- lookin' forward to it...

07 July 2006
dude.. your story makes me constantly think of forrest gump.. weird, guess he felt that way too. And you made it sound like it was your own experience... have you ever been in that situation? it's kinda deep... good luck from now on.. it's almost over

------------------->>> Check these out <<<-------------------------

The Journey Begins 2D Challenge Entry

07 July 2006
hey, anarki -- thanks for the cool comment! to be honest, i've never seen forrest gump (guess that's one i'll have to put on my dvd list...). i've also never been in the military, so i've not faced that type of firsthand war situation. a lot of the emotion i put in my character comes from my own distaste of the iraq war, and my deep conviction that war -- in all its forms -- is wrong in every sense of the word. when my country decided to invade iraq a few years ago, i was devastated (i designed a tattoo that i had done at the base of my neck between the shoulders the eve we began this conflict, as my own protest to the war and desire for peace).

in my character here, i tried to emphasize the helplessness of being cast into a role in life that one has no control over, and to show his distaste for the situation, as well as the determination to make it through this journey alive and a stronger person because of it. as i've grown in many ways inside during the past few years, i translated my growth into this young man's evolution from innocence to adulthood in one split second -- the instant his eyes captured the brutality of war first hand. my character here is beginning a journey that will reveal the true nature of armed conflict in all its horror -- not unlike my feelings that have stirred in me with each grotesque revelation that has unveiled itself through the news and reports in iraq, as well as what history has unfolded in the vietnam war, world war II, the civil war and all the way back to the crusades...

anyway, that's what was going on in my melon when i drummed up this idea.... thanks again so much for taking the time to share your comment with me -- is truly appreciated!!

07 July 2006
Goddamn war.. I'm from Romania, small european country, and the government sent some troops there in iraq.. the youngs were so enthusiast about fighting, but already some got killed , and some are missing in action... that's why I was interested in your work in the first place(and maybe because your avatar is so cool, i dunno, i just like it..lol ).

Looking forward to meet you in the next one, really. Cheers

------------------->>> Check these out <<<-------------------------

The Journey Begins 2D Challenge Entry

07 July 2006
i'm in total agreement, pal. we've lost over 2,500 troops... and counting. i'm also afraid that the casulaty rate (injury, traumatic stress disorders, permanent disability, loss of limbs, etc.) will push the total casualty rate closer to 10,000+ before all this is over. not to mention the civilian casualties in iraq...

you'd think an advanced and evolved society could think of a better way to work out their differences.... we aren't as evolved as we think, me fears....

really appreciate your cool words -- worth their weight in gold!

07 July 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread