Trouble with Silo's soft selection.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
Trouble with Silo's soft selection.

Ive been testing out Silo's demo and I'm not liking the way it handles soft selection. It appears that the outer areas where infulence is weakest still get too much influence which creates an ugly deformation. Can someone who is experienced with the app give me any tips on acheiving smoother deformations with the feature?

Also, I tried moving along normals with soft selection and only the vert that I originally selected was translated. Am I missing something?

06 June 2005
Im not to familar with the softselect tool since I dont use it much my self, but a tip is to test tweaking the falloff parameter.

Your right about move along normals, put this in the bug forum over at www.silo3d.com

Best/

Aron

06 June 2005
If you've got a wheel mouse, go to Options>Mouse Setup and assign Soft Selection Radius Up to Scroll Up andSoft Selection Radius Down to Scroll Down. That way you can control the fall off very easily.

As far as I know the soft selection only works with moving, rotating and scaling. It would be good to have other functions, I agree.

06 June 2005
"If you've got a wheel mouse, go to Options>Mouse Setup and assign Soft Selection Radius Up to Scroll Up andSoft Selection Radius Down to Scroll Down. That way you can control the fall off very easily."

It's worth noting that radius and falloff are two different things in Silo, radius is how wide the selection is and falloff is how soft the selection is. Both need to be adjusted to get a good result.

Soft selection does have a few problems though, it doesn't work well with rotate for instance. - Baz

06 June 2005
Good point! Muddled thinking from me on that one. Thanks BazC.

The 'Move along normals' would be a good feature to have with soft selection; something like the Inflate brush in ZBrush.

06 June 2005
Would orienting the manipulator to normals not work?

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: Would orienting the manipulator to normals not work?

The problem with that technique, are that all polygons just follow the normal of the middle one. Not each one along there own normals.

06 June 2005
Yes, effectively it's applying scale and move together so that the vertices move further apart and further from the centre according to the radius & fall off. Obviously the degree they follow their normals is reduced with radius and fall off too. Basically like inflating the area like a balloon, hence the ZB name.

06 June 2005
Radius is already defaulted to the scroll wheel. But I wasn't aware of a falloff strength adjuster...I'm getting better results now. But without a working "move along normals" it still produces chunky edges unless your selection is dead-on aligned with an axis.

06 June 2005
Try using it with Tweak!

06 June 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread