Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

The director may have something to do with that...

But yeah-How To Train Your Dragon (despite having pretty much nothing to do with the source) is an AWESOME movie. One of my favourites!

I love that they have properly aged Hiccup. Hopefully this will bring in some coming-of-age stuff, which was one of my favourite aspects of the original.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing
North London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
The director may have something to do with that...

But yeah-How To Train Your Dragon (despite having pretty much nothing to do with the source) is an AWESOME movie. One of my favourites!

I love that they have properly aged Hiccup. Hopefully this will bring in some coming-of-age stuff, which was one of my favourite aspects of the original.

It is a great film. Along with Cloudy with a chance of meatballs and Over the Hedge, it really stands out as an original, quality, non cheesy, genuinely funny film

Old 07-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Can't wait!
I never did see the original on the big screen and I still LOVED it.
Only a little less than a year away...sigh.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

What a genuinely fantastic trailer - it actually made me smile, which is pretty rare for a trailer!

The only thing that annoyed me about the first film is the way everyone in the village had Scottish accents except the kid, who was inexplicably American. But apart from that, I really enjoyed the film a lot and have watched it several times, so I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. I hope it'll have even more of those crazy dragon designs, which was one of my favourite things about the original, the way the dragons all kinda looked like they were based on children's drawings.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
... one of my favourite things about the original, the way the dragons all kinda looked like they were based on children's drawings.

Which they actually were. I got me the childrens books on which the movie is loosely based, and the film dragons realy are desgined based on child (like) drawings.
The most noteable exception is toothless himself though, his design in the book is completely different, but so is the character

Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Really looking forward to this, the first one was my favorite movie from Dreamworks so far. Yeah the accents puzzled me too (is that what Americans think Vikings sounded like or something?) but it didn't take anything away from the movie for me.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

That....was a hell of an awesome teaser.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I have a lot of respect for HTTYD. For once, its one of the few (maybe first?) where a main character in an animation for kid actually pay their price, seriously, for what they did.

He choose to fight, and he lost his leg.

So I kinda respect that.

Can't wait for 2014.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #24
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA

Quote:
The only thing that annoyed me about the first film is the way everyone in the village had Scottish accents except the kid, who was inexplicably American.

Canadian actually, but I get your point. I thought it was kind of funny. It just helped to further distinguish him as being that much different than the rest of his village IMO. As far as "Vikings" having Scottish accents - meh. They are "vikingesque", but if I am recalling correctly, the film never really places where "Burk" actually is. It's sort of a fantasy world so they could have had Chinese accents and it really wouldn't have bothered me. Also, didn't all the kids have non-Scottish accents? Or am I remembering that wrong? It's been a while since I watched it.

Anyway, agree with the comments on this teaser! Fantastic!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #25
pap87
Lord of the posts

portfolio
John Papafotiou
Lighting TD
Wellington, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalis
As far as "Vikings" having Scottish accents - meh. They are "vikingesque", but if I am recalling correctly, the film never really places where "Burk" actually is.

but they do keep going on about the fact "we're Vikings, it's an occupational hazard" etc. Would have been nice to have them voiced by Scandinavian actors, the adults at least. Leave the cool American accents for the kids.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #26
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread