Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Nanannan
portfolio
Johan
Gothenburg, Sweden

Looping animation along curve w dynamic length, help needed

Hello,

I check these forums sometimes when I need info on something or want to view nice stuff but rarely post. Right now though I'm stuck and not sure how to proceed, so I'm posting my problem here hoping for some thoughts and advise from people more experienced than me.

So boiling the problem down to the basics I have two objects. These two objects are connected by a curve, projected along this curve are spheres with a fixed distance between one another and moving at a certain speed.

Problem: The objects move and so the distance between them differ throughout the animation and so the length of the curve connecting them changes. *However* I need the number of spheres per unit of length and the speed of the spheres to be constant and only the number of spheres projected along the curve change. At the moment I'm completely at a loss on how to get this going, thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm, I hope that made sense. Heres a quick sketch also:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/i6q.png/

EDIT: I see I cannot attach pictures, so heres a link instead.

Last edited by Nanannan : 06-20-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Nanannan
portfolio
Johan
Gothenburg, Sweden

Still not happy with this. The only thing I could think of was to make a curve with max length for each individual dotted line and duplicate dots along it with the right distance between them. After that I combined all the dots into one object and attached to the curve as a motion path then instead of letting it go all the way to the end of the line and disappear I let it go only a short distance and then used PostInfinity>Cycle in the graph editor trying to get a seamless cycle. Finally attached a ramp to the transparency channel so I can control the perceived length of the line that way.

It sort of works, but feels really wasteful. Still humbly and gratefully taking any advice and thoughts you might have.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread