CGTalk > Software > Pixologic ZBrush
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Painboy
portfolio
Colin Schmied
Issaquah, USA

Can zbrush materials be exported into 3ds max?

Can materials be exported into 3ds max, or am I doing something wrong?

So the model I was trying to export using GoZ used three different materials as well as polypainting. Setup everything as normal but when I exported it, the polypaint is still applied but all the materials used are not present. It just looks white with polypaint over it. I also noticed in zbrush that the generated texture in the window is white except where the polypaint was applied.

I seem to remember exporting materials before but it's been awhile. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

i dont use 3d max but maybe try tool>texture map>fill mat

Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Max won't respect whatever material you had applied in Zbrush, especially if you had multiple materials applied to polygroups of a single sub-tool.

when you use goZ an automatic approximation of your material is setup and applied to your model in Max.

If you're using matcaps then it's quite easy to simulate the same result in Max by doing it manually. A matcap is a material with lighting info baked in by way of a lit sphere image. This same image can be applied to a mirrorball shader in Mentalray to achieve the same result as Zbrush. You could also use this method in conjuction with a multi-subobject material in Max.

There is also a plugin called GoMax which I think exports ZB mats to Max, but I don't use it myself.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Painboy
portfolio
Colin Schmied
Issaquah, USA

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I'll mess around and try and figure it out one way or the other.

Do you happen to know any tutorials or other reference that might help with making that kind of material in Max? I know my around the materials to some extent but I'm not as accustomed to working with the shell material that GoZ imports into max from zbrush.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan

If you're using matcaps then it's quite easy to simulate the same result in Max by doing it manually. A matcap is a material with lighting info baked in by way of a lit sphere image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmxjfgWKPtQ
The video above is from a older version of zbrush

Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread