CGTalk > Techniques > Animation
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 01-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Skye White
Bethesda, USA
Question How can I Mocap upper half of body and Keyframe legs?

Hi All!

Brand new poster here, and if you know of a site that might be better to ask this question at let me know.

I'm currently working with our schools Vicon lab and motionbuilder, and am wishing to do a realistic zero gravity scene with a character. Yes, I can just do keyframe for that (which I might just end up doing), but I wanted to see if there was a way I could capture the upper half of the body and then animate below the waist separately? I'll figure out if it looks odd later, but just didn't know if it could be done.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Jonathan DuGuay
Render Wrangler
Rainmaker Studios
Vancouver, Canada
I haven't used motion builder or the software you're using, but this should be simple if you export the animation into Maya or another software package. The character will have baked keyframes that you would have to clean up, but you could remove as many keys as you want and re animate other parts.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Boba Subin
Imagination studios
Belgrade, Serbia

I am proficient with motion builder and your idea is easy to do in Motion Builder. When you import your motion capture animation on skeleton plot it on Control Rig and then switch Body Part option in Character Controls, select your waist and legs and delete animation from timeline. It will keep your motion capture animation in upper body and lower body will be clear ready for keyframing. I hope it can help you.

character modeler and animator
reply share thread