Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

breakdown 3d models

is there any site, blog or forum that can show you how to breakdown 3d models? like some complicated shapes ,organic and hard surface and many more
but
with detail like what to use (poly,sub-d,curves) for which geometry?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

if there is non then plz can someone make it

Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
When to use a certain technique vs. another? Is that the question?

The definitive answer would be this:
The approach that is the fastest and gives the best results will always win, it doesn't matter which technique is used, as long as the end product looks as good as possible. There's no rules set in stone for model making, you can pick up ideas by watching how other people work and experiment on your own.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

thanks for the answer

i meant like when you watch tutorial the tutor describe the model from stating point
suppose chair
(tutor says) "you can use cylinder for foot and cube for the other places"
i thought its called breakdown.
well its easy when you recognize the complicated shape by breakdown method.
like one time i watch dragon head model and the tutor use 3 sphere for head and cylinder for nick.
(how easy is that)

Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

You would get a different answer from different teachers. You could start a dragon's head with a single polygon and extrude your way around, or sculpt a sphere in zbrush, then retopo. There are many ways to complete a task.

I don't think there's a definitive guide for this, but you can adapt what you have learned previously to each new object, when it fails, it's time to find a new approach.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Cristian-Vergara
Veteran

portfolio
Cristian Vergara
Omega system
Santiago, Chile

Send a message via MSN to Cristian-Vergara
I think all depend of yours actual skills.

Modeling a head extruding a primitive polygon is a nice solution, but very basic because is good for a visualization of the topology (circles around eyes, and mouth, etc..) but take a lot of time moving vertex.

If you begin modeling the face for parts in high detail (eyes first, then extruding edge to noise, mouth, etc...) you can building very very fast, but need a lot of kwnoledge and logic of topology.

example: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...on#.UFjXno0f7wk

The easy and fastest way to modeling a character is sculpting and retopo then in topogun or other soft, but you need great skills with the brush and great experience with topology.

I think the way to go is modeling thinks with all the technics you can find in tutorials and mix with your own techs. The idea is not a specific mesh to do, the idea is a specific workflow that ajust it to your actual skills.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

thanks guys for reply.
and yeah there is many way to do modeling and yeah it requires practice to train your self to do so.
but
there is an easy way too (sorry don't mind) like i don't know how to model human face because of complicated shape of human face and i try and try and try but it still looks bad (not cartoonist bad bad)
and then i found there is an easy technique to do so
for eyes use sphere and then match the upper face to the sphere through vertex and different method for lips and so on nose and ears.
and when i use it. WOW! it works and now i have WIP realistic 3d face. which looks really realistic but still it takes hair , texture etc
ones again thanks and yes you guys are totally right about using different method and practice.
i thought if i could use more techniques like this.

Last edited by sherkhannabi : 09-19-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
ShawnDriscoll
Have Render Will Travel

portfolio
Shawn Driscoll
San Diego, USA

There are websites/tutorials showing how to do...

Organic Modeling using:
1) Line tracing in 3D space and converting to polygons. Then smoothing. This is known as SubD polygon modeling.
2) Start with a cube and cut lines through it so you can extrude faces and cut some more lines and extrude some more. Then smoothing. This is known as SubD box modeling.
3) Start with a hi-res sphere and sculpt it by pushing into it and pulling out of it. Very similar to working with clay. The model is already smoothed while sculpting it.

Mechanic Modeling using:
1) CAD drawing tools.
2) NURBS, where the primary tool used is the Boolean tool for adding or substracting multiple objects together.
3) SketchUp which is the most basic modeling app there is for making architectural shapes.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

thanks guys

so guys after a long time i found one who help me to create human model very easily and also with correct edge flows.
https://vimeo.com/user1292652

the best thing about carlos bisquertt tutorials is that every new person follow his work because he work in 45% front , 45% side , 8% prep and 2% top.
so did i and the result is very nice for me but now i want to make my model strong and muscular but i don't know how to do it.
there is few tutorials of it but its not easy to follow.
any help?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

That's because anatomy is complex, knowing the skeleton structure, proportions, muscle origin and insertion points is fundamental. The kind of stuff you learn with anatomy books, figurative drawing & sculpting classes. That's the artistic side of things.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

thanks psyk

and you are right about having a gr8 knowledge and which i don't but i would like to show you my result through this tutorial which takes 30mins.

this is the fast way to create it but i want to put more muscles

Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Well right now you could say you're at a "shaping" stage, you would need to take it a step further and introduce forms into the whole mesh, that means going in and adding new edgeloops to define the break between each muscles.

Most artists tend to work with zbrush and mudbox to do that, but if you want to do it in pure poly modeling, take a look at Stahlberg's wireframes:
http://gotwires.blogspot.ca/search/...ven%20Stahlberg

and also:

http://www.hippydrome.com/Modeling.html

Last edited by Psyk0 : 01-19-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread