CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Strange Behaviour (Model Render / Animation)
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #76
medunecer
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Marco Fantechi
Illustrator-Designer
MeduNecer
Rome, Italy

Send a message via MSN to medunecer
Hey Rick, Congrats for finishing your great animation! Good luck!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #77
Trickz
Control Z is my friend...

portfolio
Rick Davidson
Designer
Black Sheep
Hamilton, New Zealand

Hey thanks Marco, just glad I made the deadline haha. Hey your illustration is fantastic!

Imagination is more important than knowledge
- Albert Einstein. ~ I live HERE

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Old 11-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #78
dubbilan
Frequenter

portfolio
Lasse Juul Kolding
freelance interstellar correspondent
Denmark

Great job Trickz!
Your story is delivered very well, I love the idea of fungus people evolving after we have all gone. Strange detail with the smiliy on the Victory...
I know how you feel about having the whole movie in your head already and being a bit frustrated about only having one set of hands and so little time
To say the least my entry is suffering from those problems, but, maybe one day...
And none the less what a great experience to push on for a while during a challenge like this, except the total lack of sleep
Good luck to you!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #79
Trickz

portfolio
Rick Davidson
Designer
Black Sheep
Hamilton, New Zealand

haha yes the smiley. I was thinking, if I was a creature collecting human junk in a sewer, what would be my most treasured find. A smiley badge! And of course I'd stick it on the front of my ship like a figurehead.

You are right, this was hard work. But it is great to say I achieved something like this, and learned so much. I love your piece - but I'll let you know on yours

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Old 11-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #80
tnads
Veteran

portfolio
Tibor Nadas
Hungary

Excellent ! Congrats for finishing your great animation! Good luck!

Tibor

Old 11-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #81
r1-381
Frequenter
portfolio
casey barrett
Troy, USA

cool!

i like this one. the part where he locks up his ship after putting the glowing rock in it is just excellent. the music really gives this film an epic feel, like that little guy is about to embark on something great. a sequel perhaps?
is there a higher resolution vid somewhere?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #82
Nennad
Edge manipulator

portfolio
Nenad Pantic
illustrator
Greystones, Ireland

Wow Trickz, you managed to do it! Overal feeling is great! I loved especially the physics of the ship, how it moves and "lives". The turtle is really cute! And about scale of work... so rich! One complaint: the making of is too fast . One must watch it in slow motion . Bravo!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #83
Peter-Eriksson
Art Director

portfolio
Peter Eriksson
Art Director
Konrad Illustrationer
Gothenburg, Sweden

Very good final! Like the mood, cloring, animation and the characters!
Good luck now!
/peter

Old 11-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #84
dubbilan
Frequenter

portfolio
Lasse Juul Kolding
freelance interstellar correspondent
Denmark

Hey Rick, thanks for your comments. I think it is a good detail to keep in later projects, strange was meant in the most positive way
Great achievement indeed, one can only be proud to take such a huge step in realizing an idea. A distant dream becomes an immediate world ready to explore for a decade.. haha, it takes time to develop these things!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #85
Trickz

portfolio
Rick Davidson
Designer
Black Sheep
Hamilton, New Zealand

Really appreciate your comments and crits guys thankyou

Tibor - thank you, yours still makes me laugh haha nice work

r1-381 (casey) - thanks Casey, well my animating is a little rough but I really had to hammer it out at the end. I'm thinking of finishing this to the standard I had in mind, and at a higher resolution, but a break for a bit I want to try out Vue after seeing the amazing results Infoarq achieved! And yes I think there will be a sequel. I have a few models I never used and there is a second part to the story.

Npantic - Yes we made it huh! It wasnt looking good there for a while! Thanks for your support friend. The dynamics were a nightmare and took most of my time. My main regret is not being able to show how the ship functioned. Pulling the throttle actually started the thing up, the gears kick in which drive the props, the steam blows and the whole thing shakes. Turning the steering wheel drives the rudders. It was a thrill to see it running, I'm self taught so it was quite a learning experience. Haha yes the making of is fast I know, each section was one nights work compressed into 20 seconds. I just wasnt sure people would be all that interested

Coolconrad - Haha I love your piece Peter, who isn't a Star Wars fan here huh? ...even after the last three movies... Thanks for your comments, you must have a great shot, congrats and good luck

Dubbilan - yes you're right, hey Lord of the Rings was years in the development huh? haha, it's great to have a base to build on.

Thanks again guys, its great to mix with people with your talent.

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #86
Trickz

portfolio
Rick Davidson
Designer
Black Sheep
Hamilton, New Zealand

Hi guys, I put together a little piece for my blog, collected some of my workings. The video is a biggish file so fingers crossed. If you'd like to take a look...

Hmm I wonder what the next challenge will be... And I swore off doing another one for a while. What short memories we have I hope youve all had a well earned break.

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Old 11-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #87
r1-381
Frequenter
portfolio
casey barrett
Troy, USA

video

i couldn't get that video to play for some reason. it said, "file not found"....i did, however check out your showreel and stuff. nice work...looks like you have a great job that allows you to do a lot of 3d work.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #88
Trickz

portfolio
Rick Davidson
Designer
Black Sheep
Hamilton, New Zealand

Hmm sorry Casey, all fixed, thanks for the heads up! Thanks for the comments Actually most of the work on the reel is personal. Did my first TVC a few months back which was great but I still cringe, plenty of learning to do yet haha

Hmm my main problem is building a good rig to work with... do people really build their own everytime haha. I've been using the Setup Machine but it doesnt seem perfect. Could be my bad setup tho. Suggestions welcome

STRANGE BEHAVIOUR ENTRY

Last edited by Trickz : 11-27-2007 at 07:45 AM.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #89
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread