Casshern

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Talking Casshern

heya!

just wondered if anyone saw that masterpiece and willing to share thoughts about the production and the amazing special effects! it seems like this movie making took more render time then shooting time...
brillient stuff cant wait to talk it over!!
heres the movies official website
http://www.casshern.com/

12 December 2004
Ya it was visually stunning work. I don't know if this is true or no but I remember reading somewhere that all the CG was done by 200 freelance artist using regualr PCs. If thats true then its an incredible achievement.

12 December 2004
i see...

well all i know is that t'was based on some japanese comics from the 70's
http://www.japanhero.com/profiles/casshan_profileL.htm

and Hell! what you say is very interesting...ill check who and how many and where..they did it!

12 December 2004
Talking

Movie was great both storywise and visual wise. I can see it being done by 200 artist on there home pc's the stuff I've seen people do on this board alone from there home can compete with any mainstream movie effects. Best scene was the scene where he first fought all the robots then fought the leader of the neo sapiens.

12 December 2004
Very inspiring!

If the project was handeled by 200 artists working from thier own desktops I would be very impressed. Asset managment and division of labor are two things that make independent projects of this size very difficult (especially when there is a very limited budget and people are working for nothing). As for the talent, the market seems to be saturated. I guess we should all stay tunned in for large collabrative projects- ready to add our two cents. Free or for pay, it's fun to help if you have the free time.
JAS.

03 March 2005
I'm not sure if it was 200 freelance artists, but the film was written and directed by Kazuaki Kiriya. Casshern was his first attempt at making a movie and he is better known as a fashion photographer and music video director (and husband of Jpop superstar Utada Hikaru). Anyway, I guess you can see the influence of his background in the work. I also watched the making of interviews and it looks like there were quite a lot less than 200 people working on CG... more like a handful really. But I dont think they went home at all and just slept under their desks when they werent working...

Amazing film. Probably my favorite for now. I really liked the visual style, not because it was particularly realistic or convincing, but because it had such a strong sense of style and flavour to it. Very unique and beautiful.

03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread