Adding more Geometry to model via Maya Extrude

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Adding more Geometry to model via Maya Extrude

As some of you might remember from my previous topics, I'm working on a dog for my first model in zbrush.

I need to add toes to my paws at this point. The trouble is I do not have enough geometry on the feet of my dog do make convincing toes. After some thought I concluded that extruding toes from the paws would probably be the best way to go. So I used GOZ to open maya and planned on using extrude to make some toes. I quickly learned that maya's extrude doesn't work with its reflection selection and maya has no method for symmetric extruding.

In hind sight I probably should have just made the toes at the Zsphere stage of things. Unfortunately I'm way past that now. That's that situation here are my two questions.

1. At this point what's the best method for creating some toes in Zbrush?

2. If I do in fact find a way to extrude toes symmetrically in Maya would Zbrush handle the new toes well at higher subdiv levels?

I really don't want to redo the topology on this model. As its pretty decent so far, I just need to find a way to add toes without destroying it.

11 November 2012
what i would do FIRST is turn project on and increase the resolution in the dynamesh option
then dynamesh it.
then add your toes/paws
once done give it at least 1 subdivision or more then tool >geometry> freeze subdivision
then tool >geometry>QRemesher
then tool >geometry >UN freeze subdivision

11 November 2012
Thanks for the reply informerman.

I'm a real noob to zbrush. But it was my understanding that Dynamesh would destroy symmetry. I don't like the effects of it at all, it seems to destroy my model. Maybe I'm using it wrong or something.

That said I did find another simpler solution. Freeze subdivs followed by local subdiv on the paws which gives more more geometry to pull out some toes. But it almost seems too good to be true. I struggled with finding a solution for a long time. So does anyone take issue with my local subdiv method? Perhaps its going to cause me issues later on?

11 November 2012
QRemesher will fixs the dynamesh mess

11 November 2012
Thanks again for all your help informerman. I couldn't really tell what was going on in your video though because it was too blurry to see menus. Here's where I'm at now.

I've used dynamism and pulled out some toes:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5170721/Zbrush.jpg

However when I try to remesh it with Qremesher the toes don't hold their form and I end up getting a blob on the bottom of the leg. Even when I control + click + drag in Dynamesh I lose the toes. All I want is some geometry to continue sculpting with. :(

11 November 2012
try this http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=140&t=1080852

Last edited by informerman : 11 November 2012 at 05:05 AM.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by overbound: ...I don't like the effects of it at all, it seems to destroy my model. Maybe I'm using it wrong or something.

You can turn down smoothing with Dynamesh.

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread