IRay shot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
IRay shot

Hi there

I have tested (for the review) the IRay of Mental Ray for CINEMA 4D and it´s really very usable.

pros:
Speed (+CUDA suport)
material editor (pretty close to the C4D look)
C4D Shader support
Rel. simple settings
Quality

cons:
I miss beutty passes
Manual (IRay render settings), MentalRay is ok

here is the result I made

CINEMA 4D "semi"-unbiased rendering tutorial

http://www.c4d.cz

12 December 2012
How would you compare, if you can, to using vray for c4d?

I'm getting irritated that vray for c4d is falling behind other implementations and what I was waiting for in material sharing (MetaSL/vrscene) is already in M4D. I like C4D render but I like the enhanced channels in vray/mental ray but I want to be sure I can use the external renderer in the pipeline with max/maya. It looks like I can currently with M4D but vrayforC4D is far delinquent with the promise, if ever it is coming (roadmaps had us on v2 by now and still no 1.5).

12 December 2012
Really good looking render, surprised there aren't more replies.
Does Iray support a multipass system or is that limited to Mray?

cheers
brasc

12 December 2012
really nice render pavel!

iray does not have multipasses at the moment, but we'll add a very flexible system soon.
with mental ray in m4d it is already very flexible, you can output multipasses even down to material settings such as metallic flakes or so

12 December 2012
hi afffa, i tried to play with the demo..but as soon as i click iray it works for some seconds and then cinema doesnt respond any more. no error but cant do anything. any idea?

12 December 2012
@MAN0: can you send us a mail with your hardware setup and perhaps the scene you tried to render?

12 December 2012
Pavel,
You mention a review... any rough idea for an ETA on that? I would be very interested if you had any thoughts on how it stacks up to Vray also.

Actually, would be very interested in _whatever_ you can come up with on this baby. Downloaded the trial and will be digging in this weekend with my new GTX660ti card in the Mac Pro. Lots of new toys this weekend.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread