When do I add support edges ? (before or after detailing)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
When do I add support edges ? (before or after detailing)

Hello hello,

I'm pretty new to modeling, and I encounter a lot of interrogation on if I'm doing things correctly.
Do I need to constantly switch between high and low poly to see if the high poly is correct or is it normal to work with a blobby high poly for half of the work ?

This is the concept I'm trying to model :

And this is where I'm at right now :

I already went far beyong that point, but the model looks crappy so I'm starting again.
Is something incorrect at this state of things or am I good to continue ? (the side of the window is a flattened square and not a triangle, is it a good thing ?)

Are curved surface (like the one in the middle) a big deal (affect the render) or will it disapear once I add details ? If it's important, how do you guy avoid it ? (happens when I want to modify somethimes, see the "concept" picture)

I need the model to be good because I'm gonna have to texture, composite and so on after. What are the rules I need to keep in mind to avoid a bad surprises later on ?

Peace

Last edited by MaelP : 01 January 2018 at 05:03 PM.

01 January 2018
1.You work with a very basic low poly† and a subdivision modifier on top, so you can preview what the end surface looks like, but adding details is a tedious process because you have to understand how to lay out the topology, modelers with less experience will struggle more with this.

2.Block out a low poly cage with smoothing groups, then subdivide with "smoothing groups" turned on. This will give you a mid cage model that has its basic structure and some hardness to it and also has some density to support detailing.

02 February 2018
What do I UV ? The low or high poly model ?
On a previous project I UVd the low poly and worked with it in Substance but if I then apply the textures I get they get distorted on the high poly model (due to subdivision). Is their a way to get absolutely to distortion ? (by having perfect topology would be my guess but from my point of view it is impossible, subdivision changes the position of† edges). Or is their a process to process the lowpoly UV or texture (and roughness, height, normal etc...) to match the high poly or something similar ?
The "solution" I found at the moment is to work with a "mid lvl" poly.

02 February 2018
For high poly unwrap, you could go back and fix the distortions on a particular section and investigate why you are getting distortion. Split the UV's into more sections that won't be affected by seams / texture continuity, if that's not what you have done already.

reply share thread