Disabling Spacebar

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Disabling Spacebar

Hello. I know I am not the only one that has the annoying problem with hitting the spacebar accentually while performing a very delicate proceeder in 3ds max. I have never found a any use for locking anything down in Max.
Touching the spacebar creates many problems as one has not clue what's going on and I often end up make unnecessary undos only to find the spacebar had locked some part of the object I was working on. I do not have big hands.

I have looked everywhere to find a way of disabling the spacebar without having to go into the register and totally disabling it. There is no mention of the spacebar hotkey in the Customize user interface. I imagine it might be possable to make a script that can do this job. But I got no time or way to learn Max script.

12 December 2012
change the hot-keys

12 December 2012
Question

Originally Posted by DanHibiki: change the hot-keys

there is no Hotkey for the Space bar. If I knew where it was I would have fixed the problem

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Yardie: there is no Hotkey for the Space bar. If I knew where it was I would have fixed the problem
this is completely false. either you havn't tried it or you don't know how. go to customize - customize user interface - keyboard tab - click in the hotkey box and press the spacebar. you can reassign it. or alternatively remove it from the default action of "selection lock toggle"

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Gravey: this is completely false. either you havn't tried it or you don't know how. go to customize - customize user interface - keyboard tab - click in the hotkey box and press the spacebar. you can reassign it. or alternatively remove it from the default action of "selection lock toggle"

Ok I tried to follow you instructions but after I press the space bar the word "Space" appears in the hotkey box, Below that the label Assign to selection toggle. but the Assign and Remove buttons are greyed out

12 December 2012
You have to select the assigned function ("Selection Lock Toggle") in the listbox to the left. After that you can remove the shortcut or assign a different shortcut to it ...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

12 December 2012
My spacebar is the "Play" button...

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by ZephyrStar: My spacebar is the "Play" button...

thanks for reminding me. Knowing me 3 months from now I will be back making animation and asking why my animation does not work when I hit them space bar.
but what a moment. I have never used the space bar to play an animation. so I will see how it goes.

Thread Closed share thread