vray distributed rendering setup ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2014
vray distributed rendering setup ?

Hello all, could someone out there help shed some light on this for me I'm trying to get a vray distributed render setup working.

my setup is as follows
all Versions are the same ,max2014 and vray 3
all users are set to admin privileges
all PCs are visible on the Network, mapped drives are working, backburner is working
I start the spawner service manually on my render servers , Max stays open in the Taskbar with the vray dummy file loaded as it should be on all servers.
I have my firewall turned off for this test and I have run BackBurner on all computers once as I've read this can sometimes help.

I start my render client ,the max file I'm loading up is in a shared folder to make sure all the slaves can see it.
if I click the resolve servers button on the render client all IP's from slaves resolve ok

MY ISSUE IS
Only the render client is doing the rendering as no slaves show up at all.

The vray message dialog gives me the message below for each of the render servers ...
vray dr could not connect to host the connection timeout

if I plug my laptop into the network and use that as the render client everything works as it should the other computers all run as slaves fine and join in on the rendering so it must be something to do with my main PC blocking the other computers from talking to it but I just don't know what else to look for.

I've been playing around with this on and off for a few days now and not had much luck so any ideas would be great..

Thanks for reading

My Website

04 April 2014
Make sure each slave has your main computer with the license installed set as the host license server. Also, it is actually necessary to run a backburner job on the computers, I'm not sure what it does to make it work. The Max file doesn't need to be accessed by all the computers to work, it sends the file over for it to be rendered. Make sure you have the same versions installed on all the machines, you can also try uninstalling Vray and reinstalling (rebooting too) and see if that helps.

04 April 2014
thank you for the reply

Thank you for taking the time to reply darthviper107 , each slave can see the license file on the main computer , I have indeed run a backburner job on all the computers already.
All computers have the same versions installed. I've been working at this again but I'm no closer to working out what's going wrong :(

Thanks again darthviper107

My Website

03 March 2015
Hi There

I am running into a similiar issue

I recently purchased another pc to be used as a render node and I can’t get Vray distributed rendering to work. It keeps crashing on the new node.

VR DR works on all the other render nodes except the new pc.
There are enough render node licenses left.
Sending a backburner job works and renders fine.
All the drives have been mapped correctly.
They all use the version 3.1001

What I have noticed is that when I start vray dr spawner on the new pc, max loads up but shows “Untitled” and not “vraydummy.max”.
The jobs gets received and then changes from “untitled” to “vray_scene_something” but crashes soon after.

Please help.

04 April 2016
'The Max file doesn't need to be accessed by all the computers to work, it sends the file over for it to be rendered' Does anyone know the location of max files on the render nodes. Would be very useful when a scene crashes, and your last autoback was 2 hours ago

reply share thread