Sweep Nurbs Hell

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by AdsovonMelk: Maybe try this.

VERY NICE!

09 September 2013
We Have A Winner!

AdsovonMelk that works GREAT!

09 September 2013
Lightbulb Set Sweep Spline to Linear/Natural

1) Keep your Sweep Object settings to the default.

2) Set your rectangle spline to Plane XY. (intermediate didn't seem to do anything more than adding subdivisions).

3) Set your maze-like Sweep Spline to Linear/Natural, but raise the intermediate number greater than 0.

If it still looks weird, in point-mode, select all your Sweep Spline points and try reversing the point sequence under Mesh/Spline/Reverse Sequence.

Let us know if that does the trick. Worked for me.

EDIT: I see you have a solution... sorry, haven't downloaded the scene... what did the trick?

09 September 2013
SO the trick it that each 'segment' is its own object/cube extrusion, the you have it in a CONNECT object to unify the geometry.

I think once in a while I may see a hairline seam but Ill still take it since this doesn't look like it should suffer from the TWISTS.

Its so funny 2 days ago someone brought up the connect object, but I was thinking about the cubes 'rolling over' the corners and never got around to playing with the connect object. But I would never have figured this solution out!

09 September 2013
Huh, interesting. That wouldn't have occurred to me either.

Great to know; knowing the fundamentals on how C4D internalizes procedural geometry really helps to troubleshoot across the board on related things down the road. You begin to "think" like C4D does.

Curious though if setting your spline to Natural (1 or greater) would work as well.

Thanks!

09 September 2013
I made a simple xpresso setup to automate the process.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SweepNerds.zip (34.7 KB, 57 views)

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by AdsovonMelk: I made a simple xpresso setup to automate the process.

Had to download if only for the file name.

09 September 2013
It should work without extra when using cross-section. Try this: Sometimes it helps to set at least one intermediate point in your spline.

Edit: ok, just tried it. Though it works in one case, it doesn't in others...sigh

Last edited by Katachi : 09 September 2013 at 08:26 AM.

09 September 2013
@AdsovonMelk : Nice little idea to break and connect the spline procedurally with the polyfx and connect object.

Speaking of using the mospline, this is clearly a case for the Turtle L-spline mode : set the default angle to 90 degrees and you don't even have to draw a single spline by hand.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sweepturtlemaze.zip (83.5 KB, 38 views)

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Mike Abbott: One thing I would suggest is to send a simple project with your spline and rectangle sweep to HQ and ask.

1. If they can set up a satisfactory sweep. If so, please do and send it back asap.
2. How long did it take them to set it up?
3. Is this reasonable for a $3.5K piece of software?

Yes, this is exactly the type of email some poor guy in tech support wants to start their day.
Seriously, Tech support agents need to get paid more for having to put up with emails like this.

Send along the file, send along the request, leave out the snark.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by chi: Yes, this is exactly the type of email some poor guy in tech support wants to start their day.
Seriously, Tech support agents need to get paid more for having to put up with emails like this.

Send along the file, send along the request, leave out the snark.

Agreed... Having worked in a tech support role before (in a different industry), I can say that it is unfair how often callers would blame me for a shortcoming of a given product. The support guys have no say in implementation, and at least in my case, the engineers were not even remotely interested in our ideas.

OP - glad you found a suitable work-around.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

09 September 2013
Just to point out...
I didn't suggest those questions were sent to tech support...

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread