Physical renderer blotchy artefacts on still

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Physical renderer blotchy artefacts on still

I am getting some subtle blotchy artefacts on a small area of a product render when using the physical renderer on progresssive. They aren't there as far as I can see when I use the standard renderer. I'm using r14 and rendering with GI and AO on. The areas affected are near edges which have been bevelled using solid chamfer. I'm happy to render using the standard renderer in this case, but just wondered what might be causing this? In the side by side pic in which I hope the problem is visible, the physical renderer has made 60 passes.

08 August 2013
Do you get it in physical when not using progressive? Remember progressive is really only intended/useful for fast test renders not for final renders.

08 August 2013
Bloody hell - I didn't know that! Been using it for final renders for ages - I just thought if you left it long enough, like 100 passes, it would beat any other method.

So what's a good base setting using physical render for final output? I'll try that on my scene.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by mitchino: Bloody hell - I didn't know that! Been using it for final renders for ages - I just thought if you left it long enough, like 100 passes, it would beat any other method.

So what's a good base setting using physical render for final output? I'll try that on my scene.

Progressive is usually fine for final renders its just always going to be the slower than the other methods (adaptive is fastest with the proper settings) to get a quality render. In my experience it should work the way you're imagining it. I'd be interested in seeing the scene rendered with adaptive mode (just try the defaults first.)

08 August 2013
Tried out a few physical render options, from low (20 sec render) to high and all settings doubled (11 minute 30 sec render), and though the blotches are diminished, they are still just visible. Not going to post a pic as I'm nearing my allocation limit.

For now I'll use the standard renderer on this job to get it out the door.

Love 3d Fluff's stuff, very well presented even though his head is on a spring!

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by mitchino:
Love 3d Fluff's stuff, very well presented even though his head is on a spring!

That's the cream on the cake.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread