The fall of Icarus, René Milot (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

06 June 2014
The fall of Icarus, René Milot (2D)

Title: The fall of Icarus
Name: René Milot
Software: Corel Painter Abobe Photoshop
Submitted: 22nd June 2014

Just having fun with a great subject matter. Trying to show Icarus in a new way!

06 June 2014
love it

bravo awesome

06 June 2014
Very nice piece! Love the expression and the lighter spots in the wing giving a hint of thinner spots.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

06 June 2014
Fantastic!

06 June 2014
Wow! The most stunning thing I think is the light shining trough the feathers. But pose, framing and the rendering of the skin are all aces. So over all fantastic job I say.

06 June 2014
Excellent work! nice details!
Best,
R./°

Supercharge Your CG Career with Smarter CG techniques.

06 June 2014
Thumbs up

I like your warm and simplified color scheme for the piece. Your lighting (especially the back lighting on the wings) came out really well and its not overpowering or glaring. The way you did the body was really well done. I like your rendering style and sense of proportions. His arms in particular came out really well and are the most expressive part of his body (although the contorted face and arching back do a great job in emphasizing his peril). I also like the layering effect you got with the feathers for the wings (and nice feather shape as well). I think my only criticism would be that the support structure for the wings (where the feathers get more condensed) should've spread down more where the wings meet his back (that way did doesn't feel like a long support line support three layers of feathers; the support section should've also come down edge where it meets the back; it almost feels like the feathers are too heavy for such a long support line right now). Just a minor thing, but the overall rendering and construction of the image is fine. The whole thing has a strong composition and this piece is definitely a keeper for your portfolio. Keep it up. Great job.

06 June 2014
Amazing..

06 June 2014
Beautiful! The lighting and composition is stunning, and the expression of the character is superb. Are you planning any more work based on Greek mythology?

06 June 2014
Thank you all for the nice comments!

06 June 2014
Originally Posted by HoneydewStudios: Beautiful! The lighting and composition is stunning, and the expression of the character is superb. Are you planning any more work based on Greek mythology?

Mythology has great themes: if I have time: you bet I will do more!

06 June 2014
It's all good but the figure work is great! Interesting and dramatic composition too, with the wings filling the image.

07 July 2014
The visual drama is really nice, and the visual design of the composition is interesting.

Some suggestions that I think will make this even better:

The framing feels a little tight at the bottom. If the bottom border had more breathing room, the overall visual balance would be a bit more cohesive. Also, showing more of the background sky will enhance the feeling that he's plummeting down. You can even have a tilted horizon (maybe a mountain range) in the distant background to create even more visual drama.

07 July 2014
Congratulations on winning a CGChoice award for this piece

Thanks for uploading this beautiful piece! You've won a CGChoice Award, and a years' free CGSConnect Membership.

reply share thread