Realistic Fur Pipeline

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2012
tests....

Did some tests with your shader Sachin..... in rfm and Maya2008.....

Have put up your shader's output and default shave's shader output..Common light rig.

couldnt get to output the AOVs though... could you pls tell me the steps again to add aovs...

will post results of 3delight soon....

Last edited by rockyj123 : 03 March 2012 at 04:50 AM.

03 March 2012
Hi Rajeev,

Thanks for sharing the tests! Looking good

In my shader's render I only see the difference w.r.t shadows (which could be because of slightly different opacity calculations) and a bit of diffuse (which has a wrap component that's missing in the Shave default shader). I think you could try using the fake scattering stuff too to see if its really making any significant contribution (and a lion's mane will have a lot of that).

Check out the scattering in some of these references for inspiration

As for the AOVs, in the RenderMan Controls, under the Final Pass>Outputs>Custom tab, add the custom AOVs from the shader like this :
color aov_hair_color

This will get added to the list of custom AOVs. Now you can right click and add the AOV (or just double click over the AOV name). You can do the same for all the other AOVs. Check the RfM documentation for details.

Looking forward to more tests from you.

04 April 2012
About the specular problems, once the values are changed from its default value, it tends to give these prominent specular dots on the fur strands... Check out the images along with the attribute changes ... I have also attached the rib and maya file...

Rib file link:
http://uploading.com/files/6mmem28e/test.zip/

Last edited by rockyj123 : 04 April 2012 at 03:23 PM.

06 June 2012
Hey guys,

Question for any renderman shader writters out there.

What's the best way to get the hair normal? I want to add basic support for a hdri environment map via the environment function, eg:
environment(envMap, N);

But I can't work out how to calculate a decent hair normal. I tried this:
vector T = normalize (dPdv);
environment(envMap, T);

Which looks ok, but the map rotation looks wrong compared to other surfaces.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Nick

06 June 2012
For hair or fur? I get decent results using the "stuart little" method of mixing between the surface normal and T.

//grabbed from http://www.185vfx.com/resources/coursenotes.html
vector T = normalize (dPdv);
varying normal nSN = normalize( surfacenormal );
vector S = nSN^T;			/* Cross product of the tangent along the hair and surface normal */
vector N_hair = (T^S);	   /* N_hair is a normal for the hair oriented "away" from the surface */
vector norm_hair;
float  l = clamp(nSN.T,0,1);
norm_hair = (l * nSN) + ( (1-l) * N_hair);
norm_hair = normalize(norm_hair);

The ubiquitous fur-ball in chrome, this is using ambient + reflection environment maps and is using raytraced reflection occlusion to attenuate the reflection.

06 June 2012
ah, of course. I ended up using the surface normal and surface point to calculate point based indirect, and that proved to be pretty quick/looks good enough

01 January 2013
hi erik,
we have a function called 'comb with curves' that will recomb the shave guides based on interpolations of a number of maya splines (3 or more, doesn't have to match the number of shave guides at all). it's a one-off function for combing and not for animation.

for that we have a similar function called 'spline locks'. spline locks retain their connection to the curves and you can drive the shave animation with the splines.

note, you really do want their roots to be on the same surface as the shave growth, or your results will be confusing.

so here's a good way people generally do what you want, do :
1. in the outliner, select your splines, and shift-click the shaveNode you want to apply the motion to.
2. shave->edit current->spline locks->create locks

that's it, shave will now follow

you can apply maya hair dyn, scripted anim, keyframed anim, whatever, to the splines

joe

Originally Posted by Skoglund: Oh, that sounds nice! I have been working with shave and a haircut a lot for about one year, and now i am going to dig a bit deeper into the dynamics. Shave dynamics does not feel powerfull enough, i miss some things from maya hair. How can i use maya hair dynamics to controll the shave hair?? It would be very helpful if you just can point me to where i can read/find more info about this.

Regards
Erik

btw, good thread!

01 January 2013
So as this great discussion going on.

I also have some question with fur and hair.

How to get started with fur and hairs as if doing first time in Maya?

I have seen many people use shave and haricut plugin for maya hows that all works?

Making grass wheat field does it necessary need a hair and fur or modeling works with it .
If the cam is moving under grass field (pov).

Thanks

01 January 2013
I would just like to chip in, for some harder long hair styles that include lock and curls i have had some great results with Anto Matkovic's plug in Kristinka for xsi. Seriously made my life a lot easier, you guys wont regret checking it out.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by joealterinc: hi erik,
we have a function called 'comb with curves' that will recomb the shave guides based on interpolations of a number of maya splines (3 or more, doesn't have to match the number of shave guides at all). it's a one-off function for combing and not for animation.

for that we have a similar function called 'spline locks'. spline locks retain their connection to the curves and you can drive the shave animation with the splines.

note, you really do want their roots to be on the same surface as the shave growth, or your results will be confusing.

so here's a good way people generally do what you want, do :
1. in the outliner, select your splines, and shift-click the shaveNode you want to apply the motion to.
2. shave->edit current->spline locks->create locks

that's it, shave will now follow

you can apply maya hair dyn, scripted anim, keyframed anim, whatever, to the splines

joe

Oh hello Joe!
I don't even remember posting that question hehe, but better late than never right
Anyways, I figured it out. Thanks anyway!
Regards
Erik

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread