Poster Drawings By 11th Door

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
tnx for posting those images, greeeeat work! and tnx for taking time to answer so nicly to people's question's, we all have such benefit from your knowledge!

09 September 2005
Hey these are awesome 11th door, not only great ref about to be copied to my hdd.

But also a very effictive demostration of the effect of shading techniques, I noticed you had some very sharp edges in the cast shadows where the edges were almost outlined instead of gradiating towards bounced light, I noticed it a while bakc in a happy accident of mine. These will be carefully scrutinised and torn apart so to say. Big thanks and keep working, I'm profoundly eager to see your future digital works, should be very beautiful work.
modelling practice #1

09 September 2005
Hey jmBoekestein, thanks for posting here. I miss spending time with you all in the DSG but things have been too busy lately and I haven't even been able to start the new Challenge yet.

You've got a good eye. Yeah, in more graphic work, I like the hard line at the edge of the cast shadow to really separate it from the core shadows in the picture. I think you have to be more careful with it in realistic works but it still seems to work well and makes your forms more solid. It is a trick of J.C. Leyendecker, my all time favorite artist.

As for my digital works, I hope to get better at that by focusing on it this year. Right now I don't really know what I am doing. I only have Painter IX and it is the program I most want to learn but there doesn't seem to be much material on learning it, at least not as much as Photoshop (which I can't afford right now.)

Last edited by KyleKane : 09 September 2005 at 11:32 PM.

09 September 2005
Hey Everyone,

I thought I would put up a detail of one of the drawings. I don't know if it helps at all but it was the only other photo that I have of the drawings that I put up. It is a detail of the arm, which was the first Anatomy poster that I did. I haven't been able to find any of the making photos anywhere but I will keep looking.

09 September 2005
O.K., I actually found some old photos of how I did one of the drawings. Unfortunately, it is of the front torso drawing, which I am no longer very fond of, but oh well. I think the pictures will speak for themselves so I won't write anything in with the photos for now. If people want I will edit this post later to explain anything people want me to.

Thanks for all the interest in these drawings, it made me feel good to be of some value here for once.

Later,
Kyle

Line Drawing

Blocking in the Color

Starting to Modulate Lighting

Refining Modulations

Finish

Last edited by KyleKane : 09 September 2005 at 04:34 AM.

09 September 2005
Talking

Kyle,

Great stuff, thanks for posting these! It is fascinating to see the start > finish process, so thanks!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
I found these progress shots of the leg anatomy poster so I thought I would put them up in case anyone would find them interesting or useful. Pretty much the same as the progress shots of the front torso but I also had a picture of the initial sketch I started with.

Later All

Initial Sketch

Line Work

Blocking in Color

Starting to Modulate Shadows

Finish

09 September 2005
Nice work and good tips.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

09 September 2005
Hi 11th Door,

I already meantioned how inspiring I find your geometric anatomy
Well I wanted you to see some practical results on my humble poly torso (?)
Modelling has been going slow but steady, since I'm revising all my anatomy knowlegde.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...03&page=3&pp=15
(last images) Would love your comment.

I just have to get that Hogarth book someday.
Tell me does he also use block colours on his muscle studies?
Are you doing a book someday?

I'm truly enjoying this thread

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

09 September 2005
Hey Spin99,

Nice work on the model, it is looking good. Unfortunately, I have never done any 3D modeling work so I don't know the process very well. I enjoy sculpting and have done some work at a few toy studios doing that but I really need to get my hands dirty in the 3D computer world one of these days.

As for you Hogarth question: Hogarth's method and the one I am doing in these pictures is a little different. If you check out the REPRINTED version of Hogarth's "Dynamic Anatomy" you will see. The reprinted version includes may color photos of the original drawings where as the older versions are all printed in black and white. He did his drawing in front of the class and they only took him around an hour or so most of the time. My full color anatomy drawings took way too long to do in front of the class (between 4-6 hours usually.) Hogarth was also a hell of a lot better than I am. He is very stylised but I like that and think it is a perfectly valid way of working (it also happens to me the way I work.)

As for me doing a book: Maybe one day when I am better at drawing. Right now I think I would be doing a disservise since I am still just a student myself (not literally but in essence.)

Later,

11th

Last edited by KyleKane : 09 September 2005 at 05:48 PM.

09 September 2005
Thanks 11th door.

If you've done real modelling you should try either Silo or ZBrush sometime
Silo gives you all the traditional polygon modelling tools that one is supposed to know,
and ZBrush seems to be more modern with really impressive results.

ZB uses brushes and Silo seems to be growing that way too.
With ZB you get hair brushes as well, which could be a big bonus.
Also there's the Rhino modeller if you specifically want to learn nurbs,
which some people say are outdated.

Those are the modellers I know of these days.
Then theres the full suites that include modellers as well (Maya?)

As for Hogarth I'll really have to get it sometime (REPRINT)
Well if you have a stylised anatomy that you've grown up drawing,
you should be really fast at it?
But if there was a detailed anatomy book with colour muscles all the way,
I know I'd want to get it.

All the best.

09 September 2005
Hey Spin99,

Thanks for the modeling advice. ZBrush is the program that I have wanted to learn for some time now and since it has a Mac version (which is the system I have) it makes it easier for me. Plus it doesn't cost as much as Maya. I may take the Gnomon class that they offer for ZBrush since Gnomon is only about an hour away from me.

As for Anatomy books that have a more realistic feel. I must have 20 anatomy books on my shelf. The absolute top book for me is by Gottfried Bammes and is called "Die Gestalt des Menschen." The book is all in German but it doesn't really matter because the names of the muscles are easy enough to find anywhere but Bammes drawings are second to none in terms of clarity and form. Second place goes to Clemente's "Anatomy" text book for medical students. There are about 20 illustrations in that book that are of use in terms of muscles but WOW are they amazing. If you can pick up anything by Glen Vilppu (one of my teachers) that would also be great.

Unfortunately, there is no anatomy book that is the end all of books, you need a selection.

Later,

Kyle

09 September 2005
Thanks for the book tips 11th door.
By the way...

You get a free Mac version of Silo with the Windows version.

And there's brushes coming with the new version.
It might be a little steep in the beginning,
but poly modelling is just a really different media imho.

You can even get a t-shirt?
Aren't you supposed to get a t-shirt when you finally find the treasure?
I don't mind, I'll just keep Silo all to myself

Cheers.

09 September 2005
very good drawings!!!
I esp. like the eyes

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

09 September 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread