Random processes for drawing CG

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2015

I use when drawing random processes. What can you recommend on this topic?

05 May 2015
There's no real randomness in any visual art, because even at the most basic level of visual design of an abstract image, you still are making conscious decisions about the composition, the color palette, brushwork, quality of edges, and a variety of other considerations related to how the overall image reads (such as density vs sparseness, shapes, contrast in values and colors, usage of negative space, etc).

In the workshop I teach, one of the exercises I have them do, is to create an abstract composition that does not rely on any representational elements, so that they focus on making the overall visual design of an image as interesting as they can without depicting anything that's recognizable. There are so many composition techniques that can be used to create very interesting images at the abstract level, and I think you can do far better than what you posted, if you learned about all those composition techniques.

05 May 2015
Originally Posted by Lunatique: There's no real randomness in any visual art, because even at the most basic level of visual design of an abstract image, you still are making conscious decisions about the composition, the color palette, brushwork, quality of edges, and a variety of other considerations related to how the overall image reads (such as density vs sparseness, shapes, contrast in values and colors, usage of negative space, etc).

In the workshop I teach, one of the exercises I have them do, is to create an abstract composition that does not rely on any representational elements, so that they focus on making the overall visual design of an image as interesting as they can without depicting anything that's recognizable. There are so many composition techniques that can be used to create very interesting images at the abstract level, and I think you can do far better than what you posted, if you learned about all those composition techniques.

Actions may be completely random. What can you say about the music?

https://yadi.sk/d/bhsS8pHo6CyQt

05 May 2015
Music can't be completely random either. Even improvisational music and experimental music have some semblance of structure--be it a melodic scale, harmonic structure, or rhythmic pattern, otherwise it wouldn't sound like music--it would just sound like a bunch of random noise. Even soundscapes and musique concrète have an inherent sense of progression and expression that feels like the noises are edited together with a sense of structure--some kind of flow.

That snippet you linked to have obvious structure in 16th note arpegiated patterns, and follows a specific musical scale, so it isn't completely random.

05 May 2015
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Music can't be completely random either. Even improvisational music and experimental music have some semblance of structure--be it a melodic scale, harmonic structure, or rhythmic pattern, otherwise it wouldn't sound like music--it would just sound like a bunch of random noise. Even soundscapes and musique concrète have an inherent sense of progression and expression that feels like the noises are edited together with a sense of structure--some kind of flow.

That snippet you linked to have obvious structure in 16th note arpegiated patterns, and follows a specific musical scale, so it isn't completely random.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleatoricism
Here's my masterpiece produced randomly.
https://soundcloud.com/ottyg/replicant-chuck

05 May 2015
There's still structure in your "masterpiece." There's a repeated root syth sound generated by a synthesizer, using the same set of sound generation parameters such as oscillators and various sound-shaping controls. Even though the sound shaping varies each note once it is played, the beginning of the notes are using the same sound and then morphs, thus creating some semblance of pattern and structure.

Keep in mind that the human brain can't help but look for structure in everything--that's how humans contextualize reality and existence. This is also why it was such a big deal when existentialism surfaced--it really shook up our long-established worldview.

And because human beings naturally contextualize what our senses perceive into some semblance of structure, any attempt to create genuine randomness is difficult. Even when left up to chance, there's still the possibility of some kind of pattern or structure naturally occurring, such as when we listen to raindrops and ocean waves and think we hear some kind of pattern. Nature does have its naturally occurring patterns (fibonacci, for example), so in order to create total randomness, it would end up seeming artificially contrived, which a bit of a paradox.

05 May 2015
You studied postmodernism? I think not studied. It is difficult to understand what is happening in the art, if not know the principles of the avant-garde.

05 May 2015
Why do you assume I don't understand? I've been listening to avante-garde music since I was a teenager (back in the 80's), and some of my favorite writings are postmodern.

Anyway, what is it that you wanted to communicate in your thread? You asked what I thought of your image, and I gave you my thoughts--that the composition can be improved. But if you want it to simply be as random as possible, then there's no need for any constructive criticism or asking for recommendation/advice, because total randomness has no framework to base logical or aesthetic assessment on.

05 May 2015
It was interesting to hear the words of randomness in the arts. But this thing can not be improved - it is absolute.

06 June 2015
Originally Posted by alexlois: Random processes for drawing CG
I use when drawing random processes. What can you recommend on this topic?

I like to create random processes too when I draw. I feel creativity is meant to be free. So I try to use perspective, anatomy, and abstraction in all my work whenever I can. However, I am new, and it seems personal to all creatives technique when I feel everyone with skills are ahead. Let's me know I have the opportunity to try something new. Anyway, good luck!

reply share thread