Ugly lines

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Ugly lines

Hi there,

i have to fly over a bitmap on wich i would like to paint black lines. Using a background with a rectangle mask makes the edges very ugly (because the lines are extremly scaled. Doing it with a paint node looks better but blurry.

How can i get a perfect line with crisp edges, no matter how close a fly with my camera?!

Thanks for help,
nanni700
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lines.jpg (32.6 KB, 5 views)

05 May 2013
from your description i guess you do it in a 2d way. did you try do make it in the 3d space? sounds like the perfect job for a 3d setup

otherwise: create a higher resolution version of the background and the blacklines. so that you dont have to upscale that much if you come that close

05 May 2013
I attached a screenshot and a fusion comp that you can see how i did it. I thougt this is a 3d setting, isnt it? The background with the rectangle mask is set to 8000x8000 pixel without bettering.

Perhaps i do it totally wrong....?

nanni700
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.JPG (97.5 KB, 2 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip line_test_01.zip (2.8 KB, 1 views)

05 May 2013
okay, this is a 3d setup. i dont know why you use a projection on this, but i'll check you attached file.

05 May 2013
okay, this is no projection, its a image plane
sorry, for the wrong first look of the screenshot

i checked you comp, on thing: you texture image which goes into the camera image plane has only a resolution of 1920x1080. because the background (with the paint tool) has this size.

but i also tried with a version where the background was also 8k, and the lines didnt get better.

if you need only a straight line i would go with a plane as background and another plane for the line. in my test this gave a perfect line
Attached Files
File Type: zip line_test_02.zip (6.1 KB, 0 views)

05 May 2013
Sorry for the delay...

Unfortunately i have to paint freeform strokes, so i will accept the blurry linkes. But i don't understand why vectorbased paintings become pixelated...

Thanks for your help!

05 May 2013
the strokes are not real vectors, you put an pixelbased image into the 3d setup and there you have a defined resolution. maybe try to paint your path on a really high image resolution, e.g. 20k

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread