Need help Building 64bit Linux system - from scratch.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by chasecanade: My question comes about after seeing a render test done in Blender on a Windows 7 or 8 machine versus the same render done on the same machine running Linux.

The render completed 41% faster on Linux than on Windows. And I was wonder why. What makes Linux that much faster - and what the differences between the two were.

There are two biggies which contribute to a difference in performance between platforms. How much is going on in the background and the compiler used by the developers. On Windows the developers use Microsoft's Visual Studio compiler (according to the Blender wiki) to build Blender and on Linux they probably use GCC. The compiler can make a big difference. There's probably less going on in the background on the Linux machine too as most users in Windows run things like antivirus applications and a dozen other applications that start automatically (Skype, printer driver crap, media players, etc.). Also 64-bit versus 32-bit can make a difference because there are additional instruction sets that are sometimes more efficient for a given task.

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by olson: There are two biggies which contribute to a difference in performance between platforms. How much is going on in the background and the compiler used by the developers. On Windows the developers use Microsoft's Visual Studio compiler (according to the Blender wiki) to build Blender and on Linux they probably use GCC. The compiler can make a big difference. There's probably less going on in the background on the Linux machine too as most users in Windows run things like antivirus applications and a dozen other applications that start automatically (Skype, printer driver crap, media players, etc.). Also 64-bit versus 32-bit can make a difference because there are additional instruction sets that are sometimes more efficient for a given task.

I believe you are right about using GCC. I just found a thread at BlenderArtist in which Astralogic asked if Blender was really faster on Linux than Windows (apparently he saw the same render comparison I did).

One of the replies:

Originally Posted by storm_st: the compiler and compiler options that make most difference, not OS. GCC can be used for windows builds too, as "MinGW". Also, for usual builds used conservative optimization flag set, and restrict to average common instruction set, you must to build Blender yourself with proper flags (-mtune=native among other) to get most from your hardware.

There is a lot more on using Blender on Linux vs Win7 discussed in the thread.
Here is the thread link:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/arc...p/t-270729.html

Pretty interesting stuff they are mentioning. Some over my head not being as familiar with Linux and the different distro's as you are.

and yes I agree with you 100% about Windows running all kinds of stuff in the background.
The bloat I took out of XP was unreal. I can't recall how many gigs of bloat I removed. I think it was close to 8gigs if I'm remembering correctly.

On my workstations I never run any anti-virus or other apps. I streamlined it as much as possible. It really kicked butt. People all the time that saw it or ran their brand new/newer machines next to it used to comment all the time at how fast it was.

It was a DDR machine which I had forgotten - thinking it was a DDR2 machine since that is a what I upgraded it to. But as mentioned - it took a couple years to fine tune it to where it was.

But in looking at Linux I to like what I would call the transparency of it. In the short time I've played with it - it just seems more "transparent" for lack of a better word.

I'm going to build a Linux machine. I don't know if I want to go dual boot or not. I prefer to have separate machines - I don't know why I just do.

While looking around at CG application options I saw Maya has a Linux version. And I was considering working with Maya or Houdini, which also apparently has a Linux version.

I really like Cinema 4D which is what I use primarily of late. And FL Studio and a few others that are Windows apps. So a Windows machine is also required for the creative work I do.

If Linux is that more efficient - then it will hopefully cost less to build hardware wise to get similar results speed wise I would think.

or (just thinking) I could build one killer machine - and Hot Swap the main drives - killing two birds with one computer so to speak. I have a couple 80 gig Barracudas I was going to use for Primary drives. - Till I saw the 6gbs SSD's ;-) Which I do want to try one out.

But for the interim - that may be the perfect solution till I get the SSD's... and then I could run both OS's the way I want.

Sorry thinking while typing... lol

- chase -

Edit:

I just went and looked at BlenderBuntu which someone mentioned in that thread I linked to above. And thought you might find BlenderBuntu's statement of interest.

Originally Posted by BlenderBuntu: What I have created is an operating system specially tailored for your needs, easy to use, lightning fast (64% faster* renders compared with a tweaked version of windows 7)I got this huge speed by taking the default Ubuntu 12.04 OS and stripping it down to the Kernel and rebuilding it for speed!

* Based on tests using:
Blenderbuntu
AMD turion x2 dual core 2.3Ghz
4GB 1333Mhz RAM
256MB ATI radeon HD 4200
compared to:
Windows 7 Home premium 64bit optimized version
on the same machine.
*these tests were done with blenderbuntu v1, tests for v2 are coming soon

Here is the BlenderBuntu site link if you want to check it out.

http://blenderbuntu.weebly.com/index.html

Last edited by chasecanade : 04 April 2014 at 05:39 PM.

reply share thread