What is the hardest part of your job?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by rownd: But then I think of this joke:

How do you get a musician to bitch? Get'm a gig.

How many guitarists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
(Pick a number), 1 to do it and the rest to say how much better they could have done it.

Insert your favorite creative PITA.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

02 February 2013
I gotta agree, dragging my azz outta bed is the hardest part. of course, knowing a cups of coffee awaits me is slightly motivating in getting going.

02 February 2013
For me the hardest part is communication by far in past studios (not my current one). For example, the director says to me " I need this 15% happier", then wanders off into his office. Now I have to decipher just wtf that means, often getting it wrong. Spending a whole night on it and then he comes back and says "I just wanted it more yellow!" and I thinking we could have just done that in post, and when I asked what happier meant you could have told me yellow.

Or when the director says, "we'll only ever see this guy from the back" so my department doesn't texture the front because there is no point. Day before delivery he wants to show the front and wonders why there is no texture there. (Extreme case but did happen.)

Or... "I want you to bake out the textures, then bake out the lighting." Ok easy enough, so I do that and they don't understand why the procedural nodes aren't working anymore or why we can't change the lighting 'in real time' after it's been baked. Drives me nuts. Or my favorite: "I need this to be a real time shader!" and what he wanted really was to be able to view it in Vray RT. Cute, but annoying.

That led me to ask a lot of questions up front these days, and that really aggravates some people. (Usually because they don't know the answers, and I get that.) Now this is 10 years of these, so there aren't *that* many instances where it happens but when it does I always curse myself for not asking more questions. (And when is it too many questions?)

Part of my problem is taking things literally, the other is relating to people using words incorrectly and them being very forceful about it like *I* am the idiot here. If there was 1 thing I could change about myself, its the ability to know when someone means 1 thing but are saying another. (My wife doesn't think that is funny.)

Last edited by Diffus3d : 02 February 2013 at 12:42 AM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: How many guitarists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
(Pick a number), 1 to do it and the rest to say how much better they could have done it.

Insert your favorite creative PITA.

The one going through my office right now: How many animators does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Just 1, they hold it in place and the world revolves around them.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread