Godly Icon 3, Georgios Dimitriou (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
Godly Icon 3, Georgios Dimitriou (2D)

Title: Godly Icon 3
Name: Georgios Dimitriou
Software: Photoshop

Godly ICON 3---this has been a rather older attempt to effectively combine 2d and 3d lighting effects to some extent. the image has been part of a personal experiment on achieving a certain degree of speed and workflow in the production of photorealistic comic stories. it is a process that still needs work, but there have been some interesting results such as the related image.

this is a concept illustration for a god of a futuristic biomechanical pantheon. it is a simple line work sketch, airbrushed in photoshop for the most part.

the reason of submitting is plain critique, please be strict, and if possible suggestions on how to effectively combine photographic resources with linework and 3d seamlessly.

thank you in advance

09 September 2004
Amazing work...
light effect and texture are very nice

09 September 2004
Hi Giorgo and welcome to CGtalk! Nice to see talented Illustrators from Greece.

Ok to the point now: First of all your image for some reason seems like scanned or photographed, i don't know why you are showing us a printed and rescanned piece since you say you did it in Photoshop, but anyway, i think it would be more clear and without any artifacts if you showed us one directly from photoshop.

Other than that, the shadows i think are too dark in some places which doesn't make much sense except if its actually the surface color that its dark. Another thing is that the highlights for that crab shell like surface, are very "washed out" and i think you should make them more sharp, it would give more contrast to your picture. Also maybe you could experiment with few additional colors rather than only a light red and a white.
Last suggestion i must add is the obvious mirroring of the picture. Nobody says that its wrong, but you can't leave it like that. You need to alter the details on the other half so that the mirroring is not obvious.

Thats all i could say. Its a good start though. Looking forward to see more from you.

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

09 September 2004
Great !!!

I like this image!

09 September 2004
Red face thanx for the feedback

this is a favourite piece of illustration and i hope to get a chance doing similar work in the future..
there is a certain problem with this particular illustration: 1.yes, you have been right noticing that it is re-scanned, it is actually an older piece i managed to sell in greece (a rare occasion for illus. of this kind).at the time of posting i only had the prints close-by,digital back up is lost somewhere among 200 cd's. 2.i am colourblind (no joke), i can never get colours right on primary and split-tertiary colour schemes. that is the reason shadows and contrasts are not quite right.

as for the mirroring i admit cheating, this illustration was built around a small sketch of only one half. dennik has been most helpful!!

09 September 2004
Thumbs up

Hello Georgios,

Thanks for the Good work... according to my view I liked the dept rendering you have conceptualized. if it would have had more depth it would become less photographic and more illustrative. But I think as a overall model design it fails to present itself as a single organism... (this could be a compliment or suggestion based on what you think)

- Prasanna

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread