Rigging an expanding lattice (like a buckyball)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Rigging an expanding lattice (like a buckyball)

Hi All,

I'm a product vis artist working in Maya but I have to wear a generalist hat in my job pretty regularly and I'm having a bit of a problem lately. I have only basic training in rigging, and I need to rig an object like a lattice that will expand and contract without squashing the thickness of the polygons. I know I'm not explaining well so I've put together a much simpler example model. So if I have something like this:

I want to be able to expand and contract it so that the "legs" bend and get closer together or further apart, but the thickness of the wire doesn't change. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a tutorial or something that might give me some insight into this? I have access to Pluralsight or would happily buy something off of Gnomon, I'm glad to put in the work to learn, but so far all the character rigging lessons I've looked at don't really cover a scenario like this, or at least not in a way I understand it if they do.

I'll provide the files for the above test model in case that's helpful, please let me know if there is anything I can clarify. Thanks for the help!

2 Weeks Ago
I assume that this mesh is going around waist of some character. You could rig it with wire deformer and have controls created on the cv of the wireCurve and get it parented to the appropriate controls.
Download Vehicle Rig
reply share thread