Cintiq 12WX Users: Still love it?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2008
While itís the perfect size WACOM dropped the ball on this Cintiq terribly. The 12inch 1280◊800 screen is tough on the eyes IMHO. The biggest issue that Iíve also heard from other users is the poor accuracy and jitter of the pen in the corners and along the edges. Iíve owned the larger Cintiq 21 and am used to a small amount of jitter but the 12WX was terrible. When I contacted WACOM their tech support who also had a tablet nearby reported that theirs was just as bad. They attributed it to the internal switched power-supply for the display and that there was no way to fix the problem.

Needless to say I returned mine without the re-stocking fee after a brief discussion of the shortcomings with a sales manager. Perhaps when WACOM actually fixes the power-supply and/or switches to an LED backlight Iíll be back singing the praises of the 12WX.

Last edited by rgwarren : 06 June 2008 at 05:42 PM.

05 May 2008
12wx impressions after a couple of months

Hey y'all;
I've been using the 12wx for a couple of months. I've also had the 21ux and the 6x11 Intuos.
I do freelance storyboards and illustration, and instead of working at home I much prefer to work at various cafes and coffee shops around Hollywood. Other times, my agency will send me to one of several ad agencies to work on-site, or I might be on-site at a movie shoot.
The intuos has been a great portable tablet for my Macbook Pro, so I was excited when the smaller Cintiq came out.
Almost as soon as I got it, I did a job where drawing directly to the screen was absolutely necessary (mimicking a refined pencil--sketch style) so it paid for itself almost immediately. It was a job I couldn't have done on the Intuos.

So far my biggest problem with the 12wx is all the wires to set up... I wish it ran off the USB like the Intuos... probably a long shot since it needs so much power for the display, I know. Maybe an LED version in the future will use less power? I would buy that.
It's actually embarrassing to go to a coffee shop and pull out the huge bundle of wires and breakout box to set up the tablet, and it makes portability on-site almost impossible.
Also, it's been freezing my machine when I scroll rapidly in Photoshop (CS and CS3). I'm guessing this might be a Leopard problem, I still need to test it on Tiger to see if I can duplicate the freeze. Painter doesn't freeze when rapid-scrolling though.
They also moved the touchstrips to the outside edges and took away the ability to drive them solely with the pen tip; both bad moves IMHO.
So between the freezing and long setup times, I find myself leaving the 12wx at home alot and still taking the Intuos instead. I've gotten so used to the Intuos over the years that I don't even think the direct drawing on the Cintiq really makes much of a difference for me.
When I know that I'll be sitting somewhere in the same spot all day (like at an ad agency) then I'll bring the 12wx, but if I'm going to a cafe I'll usually take the Intuos.
But for people that work in the same place often or haven't gotten used to the Intuos, I can see the 12wx being a good buy.

05 May 2008
Really enlightening reply kookookrayzy, thank you so much
Yes, I have read elsewhere too about the crazy wiring of the 12wx, well, for my rather stable
position needs it would be fine I guess.
Another thing I'm still thinking about, is which one of the 2, 12wx or 21ux would be more suitable for non-illustration purposes, that is mostly sculpting and texturing; apparently
it's eventually all about the cost and how soon it will pay for itself..
if you are able to spend the money for the big one, you go for this, otherwise you get the small one.. oh, and the real estate of your desk also counts

05 May 2008
i just bought my cintiq 12wx, before this i used a intuos3 a5 (non widescreen). i didnt have the intuos for long (roughly a year), i found that i used the intuos alot more as a mouse than for drawing with, i just couldnt get used to drawing on the monitor without seeing where my pen was, so i started saving up for a cintiq, though i would have loved to get the 21 inch (which i cant afford seeing as i'm a student) i was able to save up for the 12xw.

i've had it for a few days now and i find it soo much better than the intuos. just the comfort of being able to draw directly on the screen has increased the ease and quality of my work tremendously. how ever it is not without its defects. cables are definetly anoying, but i hardly take it out with me anyways so that hasent been that big of an issue for me, what has been a big issue is the amount of heat it generates, at the bottom of the screen it tends to heat up quite a bit, in exactly the spots where you tend to place your hands, also the small cooling vents at the back of the tablet often get blocked when you have it on your lap, also resulting in quite a bit of a heat buildup. right now during the summer it tends to get quite uncomfortable. but IMHO the benifits deffinetly outweigh the downsides. so if your not planning on taking it with you everywhere i'd recomend getting it.
but then again i've only had it for a few days.

05 May 2008
Well, I've been using for quite a bit now the same non wide Intuos 3 like you, ravenger373, and I am really happy with it.
(I've set it to my left of my two 4:3 monitors (both same inches and resolution) and this combo is really efficient for my work.)
Now, my main concern would be how comfy a 12xw would be, replacing my Intuos 3 A5 as for real estate of moving my pen on.
You also mentioned the heat factor and I am really worried about it.
You see, you live in the Netherlands and you say you have a heat problem during the summer. I can't imagine myself screaming loudly enough about the heat issue during our long, melting hot Greek summers! I should work into an ice box or something

05 May 2008
heat issue-- keep it on your desk not your lap.......the 12 works great better in photoshop than painter because you can have a 'live' version of your work zoomed out on you main monitor and a zoomed in version for detailing on your tablet

05 May 2008
ok new thought pattern after 30 days my cintiq started acting strange....shift in calibration and unable to make straight lines on certain areas of the tablet.......... so a call to technical support and the manager and wacoms solution was for me to return it for my money back....no suggestions of repair or replace just a flat out 'yeah it wont work for what you need to do obviously' so i suggest waiting to get one.....

05 May 2008
Wow! unbelievable! that's definitely a bad sign

"'yeah it wont work for what you need to do obviously''

"Obviously" you got this tablet to work with it in the only way someone can, that is draw on it!
you didn't ask for a toaster! I wonder what did they thought of to tell you that

05 May 2008
That does seem odd. I don't want to put two and two together and get five but their European Support Forum has been down "due to maintenance" for six or seven weeks, also unusual. Discussed in the Painter forum:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=112&t=628075

Edit: Oops, this is the Painter Forum.

Last edited by joeparis : 05 May 2008 at 10:07 AM.

06 June 2008
I'm holding off...

...after starting this thread... for various reasons:

- hot summer coming (heat on lap issue!)
- weird reports about jittering, calibration
- Wacom's tendency to go silent or be unhelpful
- economic downturn

I'm concerned that the economy will cause illo jobs to dry up for a while, and I'd rather buy expensive tools when the recovery is a few months underway...

06 June 2008
i just say wait till wacom comes out with the next generation of the tablet

06 June 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread