iMac Pro Updates?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
$1K off - that's fantastic - wish we saw deals like that in the UK!
  1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Benek: Yeah, I'm still sticking with my mid 2010 Mac Pro for the time being. Until I can be sure that you can successfully run, let's say TWO eGPUs on either the iMac Pro or the current (or speculated forthcoming) Mac Pro, I would feel very uncomfortable about making such a large financial investment Ö Although I've read reports of people successfully running two eGPUs on the current Mac Pro, I understand that it's not without issues and I personally haven't found enough quality information on the subject to convince meÖ (I'd be very keen to speak with someone who's successfully done this!) Ö†I would feel very sickened if I were to spend in the region of £10k on a brand new workstation that couldn't offer me as a minimum what my current 2010 workstation doesÖ But let's be clear, if I was convinced it was currently possible run one or even two eGPUS on the iMac Pro without any hacks or problems in order to run Redshift or Octane, I would buy one today.

I'm waiting on the coming official eGPU support from Apple and for nVidia to get their Mac stuff sorted. †I'm on the regular iMac but it's top of the line single core speed makes most work a joy and buying refurb means I didn't break the bank and I can upgrade ram at my leisure. †And the 5k display is SO NICE. †Mac apps handle hi-dpi displays so well.

System level eGPU support is coming to Mac OS soon! †It's already in the Mac OS beta according to the folks at

Perhaps by the time apple supports eGPUs natively, graphics cards will have come down in price to sane levels.

Last edited by BubblegumDimension : 1 Week Ago at 07:34 PM.
  1 Week Ago
Yeah, I saw the newest Barefeats comparison, between the eight and ten-core models. But, unfortunately, they have still not touched an 18-core. I will say, that the difference between the eight and ten is, for the most part, not a significant difference.

For me, it all comes down to how a loaded iMac Pro will compare with the number of older 12-core Mac Pro models I already have in my stable. The eight and ten core iMP are certainly close, but I really want to see how the 18-core model would compare with the older 12-core Mac Pro.

I can definitely appreciate the value of "quiet" that the iMac Pro affords. I'm used that that with my trash can Mac Pro models. It pains me to have to boot up any of my old silver towers.
  1 Week Ago
Donít forget power efficiency as well. Iím willing to bet rendering with the iMac Pro is going to be cheaper (electricity wise) than any of the older 12 core mac pros.†
Youtube: | Personal Website:
  1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by phobos: Donít forget power efficiency as well. Iím willing to bet rendering with the iMac Pro is going to be cheaper (electricity wise) than any of the older 12 core mac pros.†
I'd have to agree. The heat which blasts out of the older silver towers is measurably much higher than that from my trash can units. I'd have to imagine that the new iMac Pro models are even a touch more efficient than the trash cans.
reply share thread