blured background lights

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2009
blured background lights

Hey everyone, i was watching the santa clause just now and i saw a shot that ive seen a million times before but it really sparked interest this time, its the blured lights in the background shot heres a screen grab of what i mean. i was wondering how i could pull this off in lightwave.

11 November 2009
not sure if i understand you correctly but i guess you just use an image as the backdrop and then either apply the full precision filter or pre blur the image in PS..

thanks
n

http://www.bearfootfilms.com

VFX Workshop Tutorials

http://vfxworkshops.com/neil-maccormack/

11 November 2009
You can achieve that using DOF but will need a lot of AA or adaptive sampling pass to get a smooth result.

Another alternative is to apply lens blur to it in Photoshop or Aftereffects.

11 November 2009
I think you're more referring to how when lights go out of focus, they actually take on a shape. This is usually based on the lens of the camera. In this case the lights are basically glowing discs with varying levels of trasparency. I say approach it like that. I've done a couple of shots like this before, and had success just using geometry. Use some luminant discs with glow and if you want the overlapping effect like you see faintly behind the wind chime, use varying levels of transparency. Of course if you want to rack focus in your shot this won't work. There is also an After Effects plug-in that I can't remember the name of, its a german name. Maybe somebody else can help out, but it will take footage and correctly blur the lights in the image. Hope this helps.

11 November 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread