Let's revive this!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2014
Let's revive this!

Hey guys,

I know it's been long since we last had a weekly challenge but I wanna say this really helped my skillset back in the day and I kind of want to return the favour to the new generations of artists that join our awesome field.

The think I'm lacking in this is experience! I remember way back I think it was MSus the one who was always putting new challenges, so I'll stick to his ways and try to do it myself.

I'll be monitoring the topic suggestions and post a new topic [hopefully] every Friday to revive this old tradition. For example, the topic could be "Military" and I'll post a list that might include everything from handguns, rifles, tanks, heavy weaponry, clothing, etc. Each item can have a specific time limit but I'd like to use the old 3 hour limit.

I'll start tomorrow. If there's any suggestions please, they are welcome.

Cheers!

Feedback / Critique is always welcome!

03 March 2014
Yeah, I'm in.

You know, when I had speed modeling at school, we had a simple way of doing it. Each week we'd pick somebody and it would be their job to just bring in a single reference image of whatever it was that they wanted to model that week. And then the whole class would just model that specific object/subject based on the picture provided.

I just thought that could be a easy, simple way of coming up with a quick idea each week.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by matmo: You know, when I had speed modeling at school, we had a simple way of doing it. Each week we'd pick somebody and it would be their job to just bring in a single reference image of whatever it was that they wanted to model that week. And then the whole class would just model that specific object/subject based on the picture provided.

I just thought that could be a easy, simple way of coming up with a quick idea each week.

That's a really good idea! Does the reference-submitter set the time limit?

03 March 2014
Not necessarily, we usually just had a standard 2 hr time limit. But I suppose they could.
Either way.

03 March 2014
Cool man. It looks like there is a complete leadership void in this forum right now, so thanks for stepping up. If you can come up with a good set of rules and find a few people to participate, Ill ask Leigh about putting it on the front page.

Its kind of sad to see the speed modeling forum die. Maybe we can bring it back.

03 March 2014
I'm totally in.

03 March 2014
I would love to get involved in this.

Really need to practise more often and this will be great way to get going again.

04 April 2014
Originally Posted by matmo: Not necessarily, we usually just had a standard 2 hr time limit. But I suppose they could. Either way.
In my hunble opinion I'd like to see a sculpting challenge last a week. IMO 2 hours is too short and the other 3D challenge on this forum is 2 months long so it would be nice to have a strict week (no extensions) with voting and a new challenge starting on each monday AM.

A weekly challenge would also give people time to post some quick concept sketches before sculpting.

Posting an thumbnail image for the new challenge on the CGTalk main page each monday would draw a lot of interest. I know CGHub did something similar and it was quite popular and exciting to see a new challenge each week. Just my 2 cents.

04 April 2014
I seriously just made an account to reply to this thread.

I've been looking for a site with weekly challenges and good critiques to build my skills up for a while now. I'm not commercially experienced (I'd love to be one of these days soon) but I want to get better and I believe with speed sculpts I could get better quicker, especially with a community to back it up. I'm completely for this idea and will do what I can to help and contribute.

05 May 2014
Awesome Idea

A weekly challenge would be a create Idea. Itís a great way to work on ones modeling. I find that I sometimes take too long working on a model so having only a few hours to work on one would be a great way to do this. I would gladly participate in a challenge like this to help further my skills. Also being a student I donít have a lot of time to work on my ďwant toĒ projects so having something that is quick and challenging would be great.

Would we be submitting our work for critic by others or would it be just a do it and thatís it?

Also would we be doing just props or would we also try character models with a slightly longer time limit?

05 May 2014
Talking

I'm tottally in too! The Foundry's Modo 801 has come to me as my first modelling tool ever. I've inmediatly felt in love with it so I'll need the community force to boost my skills quickly :P

What about to start next monday with the first 3D Weekly Challenge? What do you think???

Best,

05 May 2014
Awesome! I'm really glad a bunch of people are eager to start.

As for the sculpting, I know it takes a bit more time to do, but making a Speed Modeling contest that lasts a week wouldn't really be Speed Modeling IMO. Maybe we can have a separate Speed Sculpting contest that WOULD last a week, with only an idea and people can post sketches and references like you said before they would start sculpting.

Back to modeling. I'm ok with the way it was done before, where normal models would have a 2 hour time limit and more detailed and difficult models would have an extra hour.

Don't get into any UV mapping and texturing and don't spend any time on rendering until after you've finished your model.

One of the purposes of this contest is to compare yourself to others (Up to an extent), but the real reward is honing your skills and ultimately, learn to model faster and more efficiently.

Things to consider are polygon flow, polygon density and speed, so post your times, poly count and wireframe renders as well as your normal renders so you can get the best possible critique.

Every user on the forum is encouraged to enter the contest and post critique as long as it's constructive and related to improving the quality fo the artwork. (This I pulled from the main forum rules).

Cool.

So, I'm going to start a new thread with the reference for this week's models (I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4 references so we have a full week).

Cheers!

reply share thread