Photo camera matching help

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Syntheyes is great for practically anything, but for a single frame, honestly you can eyeball the undistortion and track it extremely precisely by hand in a few minutes when you have a parking lot scenario.

05 May 2013
Thanks for the info Raffaele! I ended up googling some of those things, and it took me off on an hour long reading tangent. I've not really looked at any hardware beyond the Nikon and Cannon stuff, so that's all new to me.

My kit consist of a bunch of 20+ year old second hand Nikkor lenses with an older DSLR with a 1.5 crop factor, so I'm not terribly versed on any of the new formats.

-AJ

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by AJ1: Thanks for the info Raffaele! I ended up googling some of those things, and it took me off on an hour long reading tangent. I've not really looked at any hardware beyond the Nikon and Cannon stuff, so that's all new to me.

My kit consist of a bunch of 20+ year old second hand Nikkor lenses with an older DSLR with a 1.5 crop factor, so I'm not terribly versed on any of the new formats.

-AJ

Oh, it's been there for a long time
It's actually not a bad thing to dig a bit into focal length, film back and the relationship between numbers there.

It's not just digital sporting these things, shooting for motion has had the same considerations to bear in mind for the longest time with 16mm vs 35mm and all their various offshoots.

It's just still photography that was stuck on a single format dominating for so long the interchangeable lens scene (35mm film), that it became the standard people now refer to as "equivalent to", so in general when people talk focal length and what it represents in terms of FOV, they do mean it in relation to that filmback.

05 May 2013
here is how it turned out

05 May 2013
i just put the image through Cinema 4Ds Camera Calibrator and got a result of 37.74 mm.

05 May 2013
I think whatís important to know, more so than 35mm FL equivalences, is what the ĎNormalí lens focal length equivalence is for any given camera sensor/film format (especially if your young and donít regularly or have never used a full-frame 35mm SLR). That info is useful if you want to determine similar fields of view (matched perspective/magnification) from one sensor/film format to another. The Normal lens focal length (in mm) to sensor size relationship is simple. The rule of thumb is the Normal lens focal length (in mm) is the same as the diagonal measure of any sized sensor/film format (in mm) on any camera (7.2mm on your FE-310).

Your perspective grid is wrong. Your scene is in 3pt perspective. Your grid suggests that the horizon is near the top of that roof stack pipe. The left edge of the lot recedes to the right VP (near center of image) and the front edge (which is parallel to the rear edge of the lot) recedes to the left VP (far outside of the image).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg px2.jpg (96.6 KB, 18 views)

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread