Circular indentation in otherwise box-ish

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Circular indentation in otherwise box-ish

Hi everyone.

As some may know, I've been working on 3D scenes from Final Fantasy VII. Currently, I am trying to model Jenova, but I've come across an issue that I wanted others' input on.

This is the original: Link.

If you look at the headgear, it has three 'holes' drilled into it.
In my previous models, I used to simply model the headgear (without the holes) in very low resolution, then chamfer the vertices from the center of the holes and subdivide until everything was nice and smooth. However, this resulted in some pretty bad poles that looked horrible when rendered unless I applied crazy amounts of subdivision.

My question is thus: If you were to model the headgear yourself, how would you go about it? Would you use a displacement map? Would you model the entire thing in high-res without subdividing? Any ideas are appreciated.

01 January 2013
Its tricky when dealing with holes. There might be a better way but I would do some like this build the circular bit with a tube or cylinder and square out the outer edges so you can model on from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (50.6 KB, 9 views)

01 January 2013
So since my 'base' doesn't have the holes so far but is otherwise finished, a good idea (in your opinion) would be to remove the polys where the circles would go, place the cylinder geometry in place, then connect the edges to the base mesh? Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a go and see how it goes =)

01 January 2013
I didn't realise that you had already finished the base, but yes this would work you could remove some poly and fit something like this in, as the edges are straight it should be mush easier.

01 January 2013
It looks like it's working pretty well. Thanks. =)

Linky.

Now to figure out how to make the reflection a bit blurrier without epic graininess x_x

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread