Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #16
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebKaine

Bob and Risto i agree the best way is to clean the mess in script before .abc export.

Bob in France the idea of having a database to store and check assets is Science Fiction ...
The concept of having a pipeline TD that manage all, to make things runs smoothly is a LUXURY that happen in rare occasion but you can't count on this ...
I would be quite interested to know what sort of database you use, is it some sort of classic SQL database, like PostgreSQL for ex ?

Well that's pretty short sighted. Having a flexible and efficient pipeline saves time which = money.

b

Last edited by mr Bob : 02-18-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #17
fahr
Expert

Chad Gleason
Creative Director
Outpost 12 Studios
Lincoln, USA

Having a flexible and efficient pipeline does save money, yes. However, the fact that you need to hire a pipeline TD just so you can overcome your software's retarded way of handling scale (among other things) is far from efficient. Especially for small studios and freelancers.

But unfortunately, when your talking about maya and having it play well with others, that's pretty much your only real option if you want things to run smoothly.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 AM   #18
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Yeah when you have different software that wants things to be a different size - generally - say between Maya and Softimage it is an issue you need to work out and just deal with.

The first thing I always attack on my pipeline is scale. The nice thing about Mobu and Maya is they seem to get along just fine. Muddox seems to like the larger Maya models too. Softimage I think is .1 to Maya, Blender is.01. And if memory serves a unit in Blender is a Meter in LightWave so since I always consider a unit in Blender to be 1M that all works.

Then setting the nucleus node to .01 handles the1M scale there.

So it is really just a matter of working it all out and sticking with it.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #19
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahr
Having a flexible and efficient pipeline does save money, yes. However, the fact that you need to hire a pipeline TD just so you can overcome your software's retarded way of handling scale (among other things) is far from efficient. Especially for small studios and freelancers.

But unfortunately, when your talking about maya and having it play well with others, that's pretty much your only real option if you want things to run smoothly.

Chad I must ask the question then why on earth are you using Maya ? . You should be using a package like Houdini, which requires no plugins and scripts to get basic functionality.
You only have yourself to blame for using Maya. On a side note I will say my facility has all but ditched Maya now for everything but Animation / Rigging.

B

Last edited by mr Bob : 02-19-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #20
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread