PRO

portfolio
Brandon Gillespie
generalist
High Impact
Denver, USA

Send a message via AIM to cwisbg
Computer build for maya 2013- 2500$

Im putting together my first custom computer build and was hoping to get some input.
My primary wants/needs are maya performance, and I also use photoshop, mudbox, zbrush and after effects. My budget is around 2,500 and I want to keep it as close to that as possible.
Im most interested in getting something that will run maya as smoothly as possible under heavy scenes and high poly counts. I need something that can render and have good viewport capabilities.
I have put together a list at of what I think might work for my price range and wants and I would love to hear if anything on there is a bad call or if there is a better option. Thanks

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1yPEa

Last edited by cwisbg : 09-01-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
petey
Veteran

Pete Shand
Melbourne, Australia

Looks pretty good. You might want to get 32gb of ram for After Effects work.

Also you could spend more on CPU and less on GPU. I've got a Geforce Ti660 that runs Maya pretty well.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
cwisbg
PRO

portfolio
Brandon Gillespie
generalist
High Impact
Denver, USA

Good call on the ram, updated. Any recommendation for a alternate CPU?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

To extremely simplify things:
If you're doing still-frame / fly-thru animation / architectural stuff: the GPU is important for high density polygon counts when orbiting the viewport.
If you're deforming geometry (character animation and simulation) the CPU is the more important component.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
pollos
2∞&→

portfolio
Tomm
Modeling/Technical Artist
ToonBox Entertainment
Toronto, Canada

If this build is just for cg/art work, I would definitely suggest an IPS/PLS panel over those 144hz TN panels. The 144hz are definitely worth it if you are doing lots of gaming (especially fps), but I would guess you aren't using this build for gaming based on your original post and the fact you chose a workstation GPU.

I would take peteys advice, and go for a cheaper GPU to have budget for a better CPU. The 3930k is a very solid choice for the Sandy Bridge E platform, but you would also need to buy a heatsink as it does not include one like the 3770k. I personally have a 7970 and a 3930k, and they both work wonderfully in Maya and Zbrush. You could also go with a 680 if you are interested in CUDA capabilities.

As for 32GB ram, it definitely would be great if you are going to be using AE a lot, but maybe for now stick with 16 with room to upgrade. I personally have 16GB of Corsair Vengeance, with 4GB allocated to a RAM disk, so 12GB available. I never have any troubles with RAM while using Zbrush/Maya/Photoshop, but AE will very often max it out. You could always meet in the middle and just get the 16GB plus an extra 8GB module for 24GB. Though many people will recommend you don't mix RAM kits, even if they are the same model number, I have had no issues with my RAM and it was pieced together from a 2x4GB kit, and two separate 4GB modules.

Hopefully that helps in some way, good luck with the build!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
petey
Veteran

Pete Shand
Melbourne, Australia

Yep as Pollos said the 3930k is great (I've got it).

Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
cwisbg
PRO

portfolio
Brandon Gillespie
generalist
High Impact
Denver, USA

Im starting to rethink my graphics card. Im defiantly gearing more towards veiwport performance, both in lighting and poly count. I have been doing some research and from the sounds of it the quadro series seems to be the best for this kind of thing ( at least for poly count, not sure on the lighting side). The 4000 is in my price range and to me sounds pretty good. Altho the gtx 780 also looks really nice, and is a bit cheaper.

The gtx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814121769
the quadro 4000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814133485

While I was looking around I saw the gtx titan, and a benchmarks site
( http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html ) puts it pretty far ahead of the rest, and the stats blow away the 4000

More than I want to pay, but it looks pretty beasty.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814121724

Can anyone weigh in on this, is the titan worth it, or should I go with the 4000, gtx 780 or alternate?

Last edited by cwisbg : 09-06-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

There are literally dozens of threads from the last few months, and several still on the first page, discussing exactly your questions and covering all the models you list.
Just trawl back through those instead of waiting for replies and seeing the same exact cycle of comments and opinions repeat itself exactly according to the same pattern over the next few days

Free Maya Nodes

Old 09-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

The Home edition of Windows 7 maxes out at 16GB memory so you'll need the Professional edition for the 32GB of memory.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

Or go with Windows 8 which has a 128GB memory limit on the Home edition.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

the 120 and 144hz monitors SUCK at color reproduction, nor are any of them higher than 1080p

Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread