Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Sparkle
Veteran

portfolio
Johannes Kollender
3D Motion Graphics Designer
Hamburg, Germany

Strange behaviour of the MoSpline

Today I've noticed some strange behavior of the MoSpline Object, when used in spline mode. When I put the MoSpline in a null, with the Spline that generates it and move the null around the MoSpline gets offset. It's best explained by this unanswered thread.

I think whats happening is, that the Mospline takes the global point coordinates of the reference spline and applies them to it's own local coordinates. When the null is moved the position of the null basically gets added to the position of the MoSpline.

While this is most likely not a bug, I don't quiet get the reasoning behind this. For instance, if I have a cloner, that clones a bunch of objects to a spline, it will always use the global positions on the spline. No matter where the cloner sits in my scene, the clones will stick. With the instance object on the other hand a local to local conversion is done. The instance will create the copy of the object at whatever position it is in.

With the MoSpline we have this weird global to local conversion, which takes a lot of use and flexibility out of it (Especially if you are trying to use it in a more complex hierarchy).

Maybe I'm missing something here, but right now this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

I think there are some bugs lurking around the mospline object. I reported one a few weeks back (have not had a reply) where I was trying to align an object to a mospline that was referencing a deformed spline. Got some very odd results. It didn't work at first -- mospline stayed straight. But if I removed the deformer from the spline and then put it back, the mospline showed TWO splines -- one deformed and one that had twice the deformation applied.

Once that occurred the aligned object followed the intended path of the deformed reference spline, but it stopped working if I closed and reopened the file.

Very strange.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Sparkle
Veteran

portfolio
Johannes Kollender
Hamburg, Germany

Strange indeed! I tried to replicate your problem, but for me everything worked as expected. Maybe there was something more to in in your scene.

The way I see it, the issue I was talking about isn't really a bug though, but more a strange way implementation, that (at least to me) doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Would be nice to get some insight on that from Maxon, because other than that the MoSpline really is a super helpful generator.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Mylenium

Use a destination spline and move it, not the MoGraph generator and original spline.

Mylenium

Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Sparkle
Veteran

portfolio
Johannes Kollender
Hamburg, Germany

Unfortunately, that doesn't really help. The destination spline basically behaves the same as the MoSpline itself.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to work around this issue, but that means, that I have to have the source spline sitting at 0,0,0 at the root of the scene (or at least in a hierarchy where the local space is equal the global) in order for the MoSpline to not have an offset.
Not very practical if I want to edit the original spline.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread