Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #61
HosseinDiba
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Hossein Diba
Istanbul, Turkey

Thanks. Here is a comparison between my shading and Weta digital’s version. I'm working on his expressions and will post some really cool stuff soon.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #62
kybel
>B<

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Lukas Hajka
Slovakia

nice work pal.
you really came a long way since the early mental ray renders.

few observations ive spotted really quickly between your and the weta version

the size of the reflection in the eyelid wetness tells me that in the weta render theres a lot smaller light source. that will get your reflections and shadows closer to the weta reference image

secondly, the reflection on the side of the head looks a lot more punchy on the weta image. there maybe issue with the brdf youre using, are using the blin brdf for reflections ? cause you should be using Phong, which is much closer to the physically accurate skin brdf.

eye sclera need much more sss in it

also, the hair should be more clumped, twisted and also thicker
and facial hair should be thinner and a bit shorter

and final thing... what details are you containing in the displacement and in the normal map ?
cause from the looks of it, i feel like some major shapes are contained just in the normal map, normal map should be imho used just on the fine crisp details, all major forms have to be displaced. cause in the render this makes a world of difference.

keep the good work

Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #63
HosseinDiba
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Hossein Diba
Istanbul, Turkey

Thanks man, almost 80% of the details are coming from displacement map, normal is used just for really fine details like skin pores, about his peach fuzz, I can't add any more hair. my computer killed itself(Render time 5 hours!!) to render this and to tell the truth, because it has been a really long wip, I don't thing I'm gonna change things anymore, otherwise it wont finish at all and is gonna be on of those lifetime wip threads I personally hate.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #64
kybel
>B<

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Lukas Hajka
Slovakia

sure man, its your call.

its just, with a scene nicely setup like this, with a good reference and all. you can focus on the research rather than this particular project...if you do the shader right, you could reuse it on any other character you will create in the future. trust me i know how it is to have that 'lifetime' wip, but i feel like if ill do the shader right this time, i can than use it on any other future character with very minor tweaks.

but as i said, its up to you.

and please, im curious about this one : do your reflection materials have blin, or phong brdf?

Last edited by kybel : 06-18-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #65
HosseinDiba
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Hossein Diba
Istanbul, Turkey

You are right, I don't know, I may work on stuff you said, but things like hair, man, rendering hair in vray is a pain in the a**. I didnt know that. In mr skin shader is not this good but rendering hair is considerably faster and not a problem at all. For his Reflect, I didn't use any other material. it's just set my vray sss specular glossiness, nothing special, to tell the truth, i dont know that much about combining different sharers with each other. i do that just for eyes.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #66
HosseinDiba
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Hossein Diba
Istanbul, Turkey

Hi,

I made those changes that Lukas mentioned and thanks to him, it lookes better now. and ofcourse the rendertime is more than the previous one (about 8 hours, last one took 5 hours)

Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #67
HosseinDiba
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Hossein Diba
Istanbul, Turkey

Hey guys, Here are some shots from my facial expression tests. It was really enjoyable to bring him to life and taking that dead face away. there are more expresions to come.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #68
HosseinDiba
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Hossein Diba
Istanbul, Turkey

Here are some more shots from my facial expression tests. I think I'm done with this project and this will be my last update in this thread. I would like to thank you guys for keeping company, watching and criticizing this piece so that it can get better and better. Without your suggestions it wouldn’t turn out cool.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #69
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

The expressions look great, very authentic. I wish I could see them in motion.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #70
Kangal
Rhino automotive modeler

portfolio
Mario Rossi
Italy

Organic modeling isn't my field, but, holy cow, this is a stunning work mate, absolutely fantastic. Maybe, if i can express a personal opinion, the eyes are too shiny, too vivid someway as the blue is too much saturated . Anyway, great work, congratulations

Cheers

Last edited by Kangal : 06-25-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #71
HosseinDiba
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Hossein Diba
Istanbul, Turkey

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #72
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread