Rendering Issues - Vray 2.3, Max2012 - Deadline

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Rendering Issues - Vray 2.3, Max2012 - Deadline

Hello fellow artists,

I am having issues with render crashes under Vray 2.3, 3dsmax 2012.

The settings:

1200x1200
GI on (Brute Force at 16 subdivs, Light Cache at default)
Anti Aliasing set to Adaptive DMC, Mitchell-Netravali, min = 2 max = 12
Enviroment hdri off

Color Mapping Linear Multiply with the following ticked = Clamp output, Linear workflow, Sub-Pixel Mapping, Don't Affect Colors, Affect Background;

Dynamic Memory limit upped to 12k (I have 16GB RAM under 64bit Windows)
Default geometry set to dynamic

Vray Frame Buffer turned off

The Scene has around 6 objects with a total of 775k poly's
Has VrayDisplacementMod on the main object set to 3500 resolution and 32bit EXR 8k res and a Vray SSS2 material is applied to it.
Has Two instances of VrayFur (that render fine and fast on their own) and two instances of Hair&Fur with a total of 8k hairs, 4x multistrand, All hair objects are using the new VrayHair material.

The scene has two Vray Lights at default shadow map resolution and subdivs.

I have AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @3.44GHz, GTX460, 16GB RAM, strong PSU and Mobo, nice PC, haven't had problems till now.

The biggest mystery is that the scene use to render fine in under an hour but recently I did something that makes the scene unrenderable. It usually crashes at calculating Light Cache but sometimes it gets to 70% of the render phase and crashes. The time of the crash also depends on the camera angle and lighting. Sometimes one hair object doesn't even render and I've tried hiding the main Hair&Fur object but it still crashes...

I tracked the memory usage and it just keeps increasing up to 16GB until max crashes.
I have increased the page file to 20gb, and as I've said the Dynamic memory limit to 12gb ram, set all the geometry to default to dynamic.

I have tried countless fixes and all possible setting changes, I managed to render it only a few random times and the render times where sometimes up to 8 hours and sometimes 50 min... I really don't understand the issue with this scene.. I am on a tight deadline and I need to be able to render this so please help me.

Thank you if you read this and I hope I gave all the necessary information...

EDIT: I believe Hair&Fur is the main culprit as the scene renders without it, even with the VrayFur visible, but the hair&Fur renders fine when I hide everything else in the scene..

Maybe the VrayHair material is too heavy on the memory, since It has a transparency map, and when the GI has to calculate the contact between the skin and the hairs it becomes too much for the system to handle..

I've tried to render with GI disabled and the scene was preety much stuck at Prepass 1/2 -- Unloading Geometry so I canceled the render and max crashed with a totaly idiotic error, something about irradiance map (which I am not using)... then it offered me to cancel the render, I clicked Cancel and it crashed with a windows error report window...

So there is something very wrong with the hair, a bug of some sort is my guess since I use to render the scene with double the amount of hairs...

Last edited by Comar93 : 07 July 2012 at 08:25 PM.

07 July 2012
I 'may' have solved the issue. It appears that VrayHair material works really bad with transparency maps... I'm not sure if it's a bug or is the material just meant that way but It CANNOT work with transparency maps as it becomes too heavy on the render and crashes every time.. I have disabled the opacity map on the hair material and everything seems to be back to normal I guess..

I hope I helped someone with this...

PS. If the problem reoccurs I will post an update here but for now it seems to be resolved...

EDIT: It's funny how the scene rendered in under 15 minutes now

EDIT2: It's even funnier how max crashed at 99% render even though it render 50x faster than before.. Just when I thought I solved it...

Back to the lab again, trial and error until I find a solution...

Last edited by Comar93 : 07 July 2012 at 08:49 PM.

07 July 2012
I have concluded that the hair is at fault here and the main reason for the crashes.

One problem is the hair&fur modifier itself which with GI and Enviroment on takes infinite time to render (based on my latest try where it rendered light cache for 10 hours straight and calculated that the remaining time is 500+ hours, reducing multi strand to 0 sped this up) and the other problem which causes the crash itself is the VrayHair Material.

The crash is for sure caused by an error in the VrayHair material but I am still unsure of what exactly causes the crash within the material and how I will solve this and render it in time for my deadline...

Also I must note that the VrayHair material problem only occurs when applied to Hair&Fur and renders abesolutely fine with VrayFur

Last edited by Comar93 : 07 July 2012 at 11:19 AM.

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread