Rustic wood stove scene WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Rustic wood stove scene WIP

I'd love some feedback and advice on how to make this scene more natural, look better. Ideas on objects to add in as well would be great! Keep in mind this is just the raw, unadulterated rendering and no postwork or passes involved just yet.

I'm dropping in a galvanized metal pail near the fireplace next, but what else could we do here? Which textures suck, and which are working?

(note: the fluid-based fire inside the wood stove was "off" in this render, by accident; will turn that back on in the next rendering)

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

12 December 2017
Quick layout update, from the Viewport:

12 December 2017
For me the fireplaces stone place(?) is the thing that needs a second look at. Imho the stones are too "randomn" in shape. If you look at fireplace pictures they are usually either roundish or squarish. Sometimes they have other irregular shapes, but in your picture there is a shitload of islands, little "hands/horns etc". While possible it does seem a little unrealistic. Also the concrete(?) inbetween thestones should be abit darker or lighter compared to stones (darker in your case). While again, the same color is possible, but it usually it is different color and in your case the color is the same, so it kinda has a more unisom effect, like this whole thing is one object. And last but not least, the edges seem very roundish. The last stone near edge can be round, but here it looks very unnatural. I would suggest to add some separate stones models at the edges (they can be round or square, but that should be geometry). If you dont want to do that, then work more on the edges.
http://www.ventnortourism.org/i/201...-chimney-po.jpg
This fireplaces stones looks similar, try to take from it.
Anyways, good luck with your picture and keep up the good work.

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Kazkas: For me the fireplaces stone place(?) is the thing that needs a second look at. Imho the stones are too "randomn" in shape. If you look at fireplace pictures they are usually either roundish or squarish. Sometimes they have other irregular shapes, but in your picture there is a shitload of islands, little "hands/horns etc". While possible it does seem a little unrealistic. Also the concrete(?) inbetween thestones should be abit darker or lighter compared to stones (darker in your case). While again, the same color is possible, but it usually it is different color and in your case the color is the same, so it kinda has a more unisom effect, like this whole thing is one object. And last but not least, the edges seem very roundish. The last stone near edge can be round, but here it looks very unnatural. I would suggest to add some separate stones models at the edges (they can be round or square, but that should be geometry). If you dont want to do that, then work more on the edges.
http://www.ventnortourism.org/i/201...-chimney-po.jpg
This fireplaces stones looks similar, try to take from it.
Anyways, good luck with your picture and keep up the good work.

Thank you for your reply, Kazkas! You're dead-on. It does look too uniform and bland, despite my displacement maps. I'm kinda new to displacements since I don't really need them for my arch/viz work, so perhaps combining displacement with a rounded_corners shader isn't the best way to do it. And you're spot-on about the grout color - that needs to darken up for contrast. Thanks for taking the time and posting examples - I'll work on that area for awhile and see how it goes!

12 December 2017
Quick update, some more models and new rock shader. Forgot to turn on the area light in the stove, but hopefully there's some improvement here.

12 December 2017
Rendering update. Some light postwork.

reply share thread