CGTalk > Techniques > Modeling
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 10-28-2015, 05:29 AM   #1066
Orkhan Ashraf
Baku, Azerbaijan
Difference in topology

I have a question regarding realistic topology and topology in some animation films.

I see these examples and also remember that I've seen in some tutorial, the tutor mentioned that sometimes topology like this(no loops around mouth) might be better for cartoon characters.

I didn't know that even at Pixar they model faces with this kind of topology.

\\So I wanted to know. that would the difference between this topology type and that of conventional (with loops) in practice and in animation..why would one choose one over another?

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0ed04cfbfd774a1dfeafe82a52901a47.jpg (77.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #1067
Hadi Ghasemzadeh
Dallas, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to h4di
Low-poly to High-poly or vice versa?

I've had this question for a while. I would appreciate if someone could answer that.
To the best of my knowledge there are two ways for creating characters for games;

Way 1: low poly box modeling > add detail in sculpting apps > create normal map
Way 2: high poly sculpture > retopology using the original sculpture > create normal map

I was wondering which way is more popular and what are the pros and cons?

Thank you.

Last edited by h4di : 01-21-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #1068
rigger mortis
Leonard Leon
Timisoara, Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to Leionaaad
Originally Posted by Cur10uS
So I wanted to know. that would the difference between this topology type and that of conventional (with loops) in practice and in animation..why would one choose one over another?

All depends on the amount of deformation. Polygons get thin and twisted on extremes, so the layout must be in a way to accommodate that. Realistic characters don't have extreme deformations, however, you need the folds and creases on the face. So you must follow those folds when you model the face.
the one button to render them all
Old 04-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #1069
Mark Knight
3D Modeller
LONDON, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by nickz
I have been following this for quite some time. Topology for the face and human body took a lot of work to learn.

I have spent the last 3 years trying to perfect human topology that can be blended well from a male figure into a female figure and then be used for a smooth sculpting experience in ZBrush.

Human Male Average Model Link

Human Female Average Model Link

It is my hope that these models will be able to help artist who are looking at learning more about topology, get clean and clear examples of what good topology looks like.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the models. Me and a friend of mine, Russell Barton have used this topology on a few projects now and the models are holding up to be very versatile when being pushed into new shapes.

I would love to see these in a little more detail. I am a beginner to modelling people and topology is my weak point so I would benefit from seeing your work.
Old Chinese proverb:

"A man who is full of venom most of all poisons himself".
Old 05-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #1070
Hello everyone!

I'm new round these parts, and I'm having trouble with topology! I really want to make a female and male head with proper topology. I also want them to be flexible enough so I can modify them to fit any human face that I need to create.

I've been looking up reference images and found a lot, but sadly pictures don't explain why they're set up that way, and they also don't explain how it was set up that way. I'm currently making low-poly characters with sub-serf level 2. I also use the latest version of blender (not beta/alpha.)

I'm also learning all this by myself, and it's rather daunting to learn by yourself, so I'd like to ask the community if there's any free resources for learners. A lot of the links (if not all) on this post don't work anymore. Plus, 70+ pages to go through

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #1071
Ahmad Merheb
Art Director/3d Artist
Tripoli, Lebanon
Send a message via MSN to abohmed
Head Topology Techniques

in this tutorial i show how i approach doing topology for the head its a bit diffrent with how i approach i think it makes thing easier for me to work i hope some people are benefiting from these please share to spread the knowledge
reply share thread