Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
ebbandflow
Veteran
portfolio
USA

FX workplace Productivity

I was reading this old thread about workplace productivity http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-1005782.html With reading about all sorts of FX houses closing down and going out of business I always wonder doesn't the crunch and lack of sleep and insane amount of hours working and stress not only create chaos/confusion/frustration but also what about the increase in errors and mistakes? Like what happens if you accidentally delete a file or save a file that replaces an old file by accident hence basically deleting it.

Now it's obvious they have back up drives in these instances yet I wonder how much these setbacks in mistakes make things even more insane and create more of a drop in employee morale? I always wanted to do FX but the more I read about it it seems like you're asking to be under-appreciated and not paid well or at all. With all that it seems you'd be better off making more money or the same amount working at a grocery store with a lot less stress. Although not ideal, I guess it's all about the risks and rewards of doing the work. But the FX industry currently sounds like a horribly abusive relationship where Hollywood is the Chris Brown beating down the Rihanna (the FX workers) yet for some reason the FX workers keep coming back for more of a hurt. Ok so it's a lame metaphor but it's the best I can come up with. In other words, it's madness.

To all those FX workers out there, I greatly appreciate your work the more I learn about CG and FX and what actually happens in the real world. I wish more of the average movie goer new what you guys actually do. I have always been a fan of FX since a kid and it's just so sad to keep hearing of the horror stories that seem to plague this great yet under-appreciated industry.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

You have to remember that the news you're reading is only ever the bad stuff.

Personally I think most VFX artists are reasonably paid and the hours while during deadlines can be grueling are not always so. Experiences obviously differ depending on what type of work you do and what companies you work for.

Right now the industry is under some stress but this will likely correct itself somehow in the future - remember it's a pretty new industry and it's been undergoing rapid change. Being a part of something like that is both exciting and somewhat unreliable but, that's the nature of rapid change.

With regards to work place stress, this is something you try to manage from show to show. Obviously there are deadlines that need to be met but managing both the client expectations and the crew are both important. Good production management where it exists will manage to walk this tightrope well and make sure everyone gets enough sleep during deadlines and will get some good rest after them. I'm always trying to keep morale high when we're working late, so we have dinners together and share jokes and really try to bond as a team. To me the best thing about VFX is that sense of team - we make awesome stuff that one person alone would not be able to do.

And then afterwards we drink beer. That is good.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
ebbandflow
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Another thing I'm wondering is that what about people with disabilities. Are people discriminated against because of them? Are they even recognized? I'm not really talking about people in wheelchairs but other less physically recognized disabilities. I've seen the thread about common workplace problems in the FX industry like carpal tunnel and chronic sitting but what about like mental disabilities like chronic headaches from overwork or brain-fogginess and eye strain like migraines or other neurological problems?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbandflow
Another thing I'm wondering is that what about people with disabilities. Are people discriminated against because of them? Are they even recognized? I'm not really talking about people in wheelchairs but other less physically recognized disabilities. I've seen the thread about common workplace problems in the FX industry like carpal tunnel and chronic sitting but what about like mental disabilities like chronic headaches from overwork or brain-fogginess and eye strain like migraines or other neurological problems?

Those problems are common to a lot of work places and again they can all be managed if you have good management (as they can be in those other industries).

If someone has a per-disposition to one of those problems I doubt there would be any more or less discrimination against them in the VFX and Motion industries than there would be in any others.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread