Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
maxberlin2013
portfolio
Max Hegewald
Berlin, Germany

"Humpback Whale jumping out of water scene" help

Hi, I am New to the cgsociety, i was looking for some help for my actual project:

I am doing film, normally working only with after effects. My actual short film (35 min)
contains the story of a girl and a humpback whale. I bought a 3d rigged nice model of a humpback whale for this project. We already did a underwaterscene and scenes where the whale is stranded/beached at the coast. Now i need to create a scene where the humpbackwhale jumps out of the water, with water splashing around and waves.

We want to combine this animation with greenscreenfootage of our actress.

I am a newbie in the 3d world. I just know basics in 3dmax, the animation of the whale is no problem, even a realistic ocean shouldnt be the problem, but i dont know how to simulate the whale (object) coming through the water surface, splashing etc...

I was looking for a preset of a realistic water surface, which would automatically react physically correct on my humpbackwhale animation - but i couldnt find anything like that...
That would be the simplest way to create such a picture i thought...
Did someone have seen such a template, maybe on turbosquid?
I dont have additional plugins... which way would you choose to simulate this scene?
Thanks for help!

Max

PS: If someone is interested in the movie, here is a trailer:http://vimeo.com/37944162
but without the humpback...

Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
davius
Positive electron

portfolio
David Almeida
Part-time dreamer
Maceió, Brazil

I saw your video on Vimeo and I'm going to assume you're serious about the work you're doing and the help you need.

By the kind of wording you used (templates, presets and such) you seem to think that 3D working is a matter of copy&paste solutions previously developed by others. While it is true, to some extend, it is definitely not what it's normally done in a production, specially film.

Sure you can buy models (some rigged) of various things, and they work well if used within their limits, but the things you're asking are very specialized VFX work that is very dependent of the kind of shot the director wants.

If you're serious about doing this shot (the whale jump free willy style with splashes and water dynamics) I highly recommend you hire someone to do so. There's plenty of people in this very forum (specially in the particle flow & Plugins and Add-ons areas) that spent years studying/doing these type of FX and are more than capable to pull something of for you.

Cheers and good luck on your short.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Water simulation like that is not an easy thing to do, it takes someone who's skilled in setting it up and can spend the time doing the simulation, it will take many hours for the computer to calculate that.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

You have pretty three options:

1. Rent Realflow, learn to use it, create it yourself = cheapest cost, but longest time (possible up to a few months)
2. Use some stock footage = fastest, middle price point (couple days digging through stock)
3. Hire a fluid artist = most expensive, much faster that learning yourself BUT you will get exactly what you want (couple of weeks tops)

Remember this: Cheap/Fast/Quality you can pick only two!

and it looks to me like you want quality, you will need to make a choice.

Last edited by JohnnyRandom : 06-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
captain brainiac
Expert

Even if it doesn't help you with you problem directly, srr what cam be done.
See the "naiad" discussion thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oblaqMDSGKE

The only option you have right know is realflow.
All other solutions lack quality and options.

Perhaps a combination of

http://www.aespid.com/index.php/too...-wave-generator

and

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/phoenixvideos.html

could do the job

Old 06-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
maxberlin2013
portfolio
Max Hegewald
Berlin, Germany

Hi, thanks for your quick responses. And thank you for watching the Trailer . I know of course that the described scene is very complex, and i know that 3D work is Not a matter of copy and Paste, of course not. I tried it with Maya fluids, but I didnt get realistic results, maybe Cause I dont really know how to handle it. Realflow would be Perfect, i guess, but Even 200,- Euro per week to Rent it would be too much for this Shot. I also thought about naiad, but it doesnt exist anymore. I found a 3D Artist, who was working with naiad, and built a scene with a jumping whale like i planned, and he told me i should use Houdini for this, so i will try it this way, Cause they offer a Free trial Houdini Version And a cheap one for stundents. anyway, if someone here knows a tutorial about something like this, let me know, Thanks, max

Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
maxberlin2013
portfolio
Max Hegewald
Berlin, Germany

Hi, thanks for the quick Replies!
After trying different things, I decided to work on this scene with realflow... I think thats the best option. Actually I am learning with the help of some sample projects.
Thanks for the help, i will post the result one day (hopefully) here

Max

Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
captain brainiac
Expert

I think that is the best way.

There is also SitniSati "Dreamscape" and "Fume FX" also look up 3DAliens "Glu3D".

by the way ... are you the "Mauerschütze" - Max Hegewald?
if so.. i just want to state i like your work pretty much.
C U

Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
maxberlin2013
portfolio
Max Hegewald
Berlin, Germany

@captain brainiac:
Thanks! And yes I am, how do you know, did you see it?

Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
captain brainiac
Expert

Yes i saw it... did send you a Private message.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread