Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
GoodAsNew
Veteran
portfolio
Harri Aaltonen
Espoo, Finland

clothings in same geometry?

Hi,

I can't decide should i model clothes in separate geometry or not. This character i'm making is going to be in a very short animation. Probably like 30 secs or something. I will expand it into longer short film later tho where she might be wearing variable amount of clothes in different shots.

Here's an early concept of the character. They are kind of amphibian type of creatures who wears these skin tight suits that keeps their skin moisture balanced and other scifi functions aswell. So the anatomy will be quite clearly visible through the suit.

The suit is going to have some very tight seams and stuff. I'm not sure should I use normal maps for those or model the seams. I'm trying to do the highres method discussed in the topology research thread. i'll create wrinkles with blendshapes instead of blending maps and stuff. So i'm aiming for pretty realistic animation. As long as the whole model doesnt go too much over 100k polygons or my PC can handle it then i'm happy. The head model is already around 25k quads including the "hair tentacles". Those add a lot.

I'm a bit of confuced what I should do with the clothes. Any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
If it's meant to have different outfits, i would make them as their own mesh and not merge with the body. You can simply delete polygons that will be hidden underneath the clothes when done. Clone and repeat process for each different outfit. That way you don't loose all the rigging done on the organic part of the model and you can simply "skin wrap" the clothes to it.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
GoodAsNew
Veteran
portfolio
Harri Aaltonen
Espoo, Finland

You restarted my brain. Thanks

I could use wrap deformer for simple stuff but if some parts needed additional deformation then I could use the body or part of the body as an influence object for the clothing. Then i could have joints or whatever effecting it at the sametime.

And, if i ever need some cloth simulation then this would open that possibility aswell.

I'm doing the whole project alone, atleast the short one, so I have to plan ahead a bit.

Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread