CGTalk > Techniques > Compositing and Editing
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
stoneyboy
Veteran
Norway

3d projection in Nuke questions

Hi. I'm currently in production on my graduate thesis project which is an animated short about staircases and memories. My intended workflow is to use 3dsMAX to make the base geometry and using camera projection for the textures and then bring the entire scene into Nuke (camera movements are very simple). I did a quick test on this setup and it seemed to work fine. Now that I am nearing actual production I have some minor questions about this workflow I hope somebody can help me out with, which is ;

1. Is there are limitation to the poly count Nuke can handle? My scenes are mostly around 10 300 000.

2.Should I bake the textures onto the geometry or have it projected ? Can Nuke handle baked geometry ? I used projection for my test but I imagine
baking a projection will be easier to deal with in Nuke.

3.Can Nuke generate a z-depth pass based on the depth of the geometry in the 3d space in Nuke ? I am bringing inn base geometry from MAX but will composite
inn more cards and elements so a z depth from MAX won't cover all the elements. I guess I can manually grade the secondary elements but if there is a way
to generate a zdepth in Nuke all the better.

If anyone has any knowledge about this kind of workflow or links to useful tutorials I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
pingking
Expert
portfolio
michael vorberg
digital compositor
freelance
stuttgart, Germany

1) 10mio poly will be no fun in nuke
2) if you project the textures in nuke you will be a little more flexible with changing stuff on the textures, but you can also bring in a texture map on the geo
3) nuke can render a z pass from its own 3d system, also a PositionPass and normals

Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

I agree with the above, the whole point of using the projection system in Nuke is to be flexible and keep everything in Nuke. You don't want to have to go back into Max to tweak a texture, when you can just do it in Nuke. Use projection.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
stoneyboy
Veteran
Norway

Thanks guys, that's pretty rad. Also, not 10mil , 10k to 300 000k , hopefully nuke will find that a bit more pleasing.

- How about multiple cam projectors (I have 4x), any problems there ?
- Can nuke interpret a cam projections that overlap (with vertex paint) ?

Ta!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
pingking
Expert
portfolio
michael vorberg
digital compositor
freelance
stuttgart, Germany

you can use a merge material node to merge different projections together

Old 10-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread