CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-26-2005, 07:47 AM   #46
Beef_Cake
Austin Marlar
Hernando, USA

Have you tried doing some basic water coloring?

I'm still in high school at the moment and that is one thing we are about to be working on. I know it can get pretty complex if you go into all of the different washes and what not but if you kept it simple I'm sure they could have fun with it.

A friend of mine recently did a water color of a character from an anime called "Full Metal Panic" and it turned out really well. He didn't get really detailed in layering the different opacities either. You stated earlier that there was a manga that they liked to draw. Get them to draw either a picture from memory or a picture they pick from that show and get them to do a simple water color.

The best thing about water color is that it's interesting and they don't really have to know the many different techniques there are to get interesting results. You might could tell them how they can add more water to the paint to make it lighter and doing the opposite to make it darker. This might help them thing about contrast a bit even though they won't know it. Anime and manga have shadows even though they're simplified.

Some of that might be getting a little advanced. I know I'm still learning. I am simple amazed when I come to this site even though I just recently discovered it (this will be my second post on these forums). This thread has given me a lot of inspiration. I have trouble getting myself to draw even though I have the urge to I just can't bring my self to get my imagination working and get my ideas on paper. That is my $.02 though. I hope I was able to contribute to the discussion here. I must say I feel most inferior while perusing around the site!

Old 12-26-2005, 08:13 PM   #47
adam-crockett
Animator

portfolio
Adam Crockett
Animator
United States

Send a message via MSN to adam-crockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef_Cake
Have you tried doing some basic water coloring?

I'm still in high school at the moment and that is one thing we are about to be working on. I know it can get pretty complex if you go into all of the different washes and what not but if you kept it simple I'm sure they could have fun with it.

A friend of mine recently did a water color of a character from an anime called "Full Metal Panic" and it turned out really well. He didn't get really detailed in layering the different opacities either. You stated earlier that there was a manga that they liked to draw. Get them to draw either a picture from memory or a picture they pick from that show and get them to do a simple water color.

The best thing about water color is that it's interesting and they don't really have to know the many different techniques there are to get interesting results. You might could tell them how they can add more water to the paint to make it lighter and doing the opposite to make it darker. This might help them thing about contrast a bit even though they won't know it. Anime and manga have shadows even though they're simplified.

Some of that might be getting a little advanced. I know I'm still learning. I am simple amazed when I come to this site even though I just recently discovered it (this will be my second post on these forums). This thread has given me a lot of inspiration. I have trouble getting myself to draw even though I have the urge to I just can't bring my self to get my imagination working and get my ideas on paper. That is my $.02 though. I hope I was able to contribute to the discussion here. I must say I feel most inferior while perusing around the site!

Well, I do want to introduce them to different media, so I'd definitely have to include watercolors in there sometime. I find watercolor a very difficult medium to wrangle, but I like it a lot.

Dont worry about what to draw right now. Just enjoy the process of drawing. Making marks on paper is an enjoyable physical activity. A lot of times people think that they have to have an idea what to draw before they start in. Sometimes that helps, but really you can just dig in and start drawing. Change things as you feel like it on down the road. Just ENJOY drawing! Copy magazines, comics, pause a frame on your favorite movie and draw that. Collage a picture together from magazines and reinterprit it into a drawing. You dont really need an idea of what to draw. Personally, I just like to draw, and I'll sit down and start drawing and see what happens... basically just letting my hand run on automatic (Dali called them automatic drawings, in fact) and then when something catches my attention, I'll manipulate it into something recogniseable. (Dori's song: Just keep drawing, just keep drawing)

Old 12-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #48
Hugh-Jass
nostril harvester

portfolio
<hr1$ Hu9h3$
contract CGA
İzmir, Turkey

hyperventilating with a straw

you ever do the watercolor spatter with a toothbrush and running your finger accrooss the bristles to spray on to paper?

the other thing which I always liked is putting a little pool of water color down and blowing it accrossthe paper with a straw..you can get some crazy branching too.

Potato prints, potato prints, potato prints.... just had to throw that in there ( if you can safely manage the carving part)

also let them get the coffee stain effect...where you let the pool of water color dry and the majority of the pigment go to edges so you get those cool edges.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #49
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread